Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I plugged my iphone into my computer and it automatically

Customer Question

Hi! I plugged my iphone into my computer and it automatically updated. When I unplugged it, I am left with everything from 2014 and none of my messages or contacts etc. since that time. How do I correct this?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: OSX el capitan and it is a 2011 imac
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: A few weeks ago I installed the OSX el capitan
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I haven't done anything because I am terrified I will make this permanent. I just started researching what I can do
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I need this fixed BAD! It is my business. I also added more icloud storage a couple of days ago because it said I was full if that makes a difference
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately, if your software automatically published the PC-resident phone contacts database to the iPhone, what was on the iPhone is gone. It's unfortunate that the software is sufficiently ignorant not to check dates before destroying data, but it operates based upon the dates of containers (folders and directories), not upon encoded (viz., in text) dates of individual messages, contacts, etc. Your only hope is if you purchased iCloud services and your iPhone contacts were previously automatically uploaded to a server managed by Apple. Otherwise, I'm afraid your out of luck. Please let me know whether you contracted with Apple for such iCloud backup services.