Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Grey screen circle with line through it.. It was just

Customer Question

Grey screen circle with line through it..
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: It was just finishing loading El Capitan
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No..but trying to get to disk utility
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: In gonna try first aid..I had my computer in to get fixed with new hard drive..worked for week and son gave it back and now it wont boot
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: In middle of getting disk utility open
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I would love a bit more detail. "Grey screen circle with line through it." Is this what you see on the screen? Does it take up the whole screen, or only part? Can you make/scan/upload a quick sketch? This description is extremely general, making it quite difficult to troubleshoot.

Circle or ellipse? Takes up whole screen? What color is the remainder of the screen? At what angle is the line? Is this a Lissajous pattern indicating problems communicating with the monitor, or something else? Please provide as much descriptive detail as you can, also EXACTLY how you got to this state of affairs, starting with plugging in the box and powering it on. Thanks so much.