Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

IMac Desktop Computer 21.5" - Purchased in 2012 OS X El

Customer Question

iMac Desktop Computer 21.5" - Purchased in 2012OS X El Capitan Ver 10.11.6
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MBI'm experiencing a problem with my iMac losing the Bluetooth AND USB ports while under normal operation. I start the computer and I have my keyboard (Bluetooth) and my mouse (USB cabled mouse) working just fine. After 10 or 15 minutes on normal use, I lose both the keyboard and the mouse. They no longer work.I reboot the computer and occasionally they come back, but most recently now, they never come back up. I have to leave the computer off over night (or for several hours) and then when it starts up I will see them. But then after use they go away again.When they go away, it also tells me I have no Bluetooth capability. And it appears that none of the 4 USB ports work either... as no cell phone or the lighted USB mouse work.It appears that both the Bluetooth and the 4 USB ports just go inactive (non-functioning).I can remote in (using screen share) from another computer and everything functions fine... but there is still no Bluetooth or functioning USB ports on the on the problem iMac.Is there any hope of getting this fixed?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kevin T replied 2 months ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 2 months ago.

Could I connect and check your IRQ standby power settings?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not sure. I connect to the iMac from my PC using VNC. The iMac has screen share enabled and they are compatible. This is done internally on my home network. I don't think you would get through my router to connect to the iMac.Does this cost extra money if you coonect to my iMac?Could you explain the IRQ standby power settings and how that would relate to the issue?I will also note that we started seeing this after a really bad lighting storm that actually toasted my cable-modem and NetGEAR router (both replaced, both were behind a UPS, the iMac was not on, but plugged into a smaller UPS).
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've been waiting for you to answer my question and all I've gotten is an offer from you for me to pay you more money to answer a question you haven't address in any ind of answer!!This is frustrating and not what I come to JustAnswer for.Could you please answer my questions or please relist this question so that another profession can actually help me??