Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Frozen word document, ios macbook air, im not sure, Ive just

Customer Question

frozen word document
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) or iOS are you runninng?
Customer: ios macbook air
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: im not sure
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Ive just tried waiting. Im scared to lose my work
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hello?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Can you do anything else in the computer, that isn't in the MS Word window?

Even if the Word session crashes, have you enabled AutoSave? if you have, previously, you should be able to recover your 'lost' work, the edit you got to when you were interrupted by the MS Word program freezing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank goodness for you Russell! I have spent the whole day writing this essay and its due in 20 min. All of the other applications are working. I dont think i have enabled autosave
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is very time sensitive though. :(

Then you're in trouble. No autosave? the work will be lost. Unless you can un-freeze Word.

What did you do last, before it froze?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont think anything. I was just about to save it. Is there a way to unfreeze the document?

Why is it frozen? how can you tell?

Try using the keyboard to select

File

then select

Save.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
every time i click on the word document the colorful wheel starts spinning. It not a normal cursor

Right. That means, 'Working...'

So just hold down

Alt

on the keyboard, see if the menu bar at the top appears, and if it does, select

F

for File

then select

S

for save, and the document should be saved.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no :( just the wheel
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The application “Microsoft Word” can’t be opened.
1712
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thats what popped up when i tried to open a document

I don't know what to do about this problem, I'm sorry to say. I have Opted Out in favor of an Apple Expert here with more savvy about what to do in this case.

Expert:  Seth Merrick explains replied 2 months ago.

Hi there,

This is Seth, another computer Expert with JustAnswer.

So sorry for the issues!!! and I see it's already past the due-deadline you stated :(

(I am guessing you're on the east coast of the US, and it's just after midnight there now?)

Here's my thought:

1) Go to the Finder (desktop) (I see from your screenshot that it's saved on the desktop :-)

2) click on the file to highlight it -- just a single click should be sufficient, or if you wait a few seconds and it's not highlighted, then click a second time (after a several second delay). it should now be highlighted on the desktop.

3) hit Command-i (that's the apple key + the letter 'i') -- this should bring up the Get-Info window.

4) Does it say when the file was last **modified?** It should give both the Creation and the Modified dates & times.... this will tell us when it was last auto-saved, I hope.

(NB: even if this doesn't work, MS Word sometimes makes 'invisible' or hidden backups of files that you can't see... we can get into that, if this part doesn't work.)

P.S. If you'd prefer, I'd be glad to talk this through with you by phone -- my cell# *****(###) ###-####(I'm located in Portland, Oregon).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I appreciate it seth, you have been a much better help however it is past the deadline and theres no point

thank you!

are you sure -- you won't even receive partial credit, if you turn it in late??

could you email the professor and ask them for an extension until tomorrow evening?