Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

How do I update my 5.1.10 version of Safari that is running

Customer Question

How do I update my 5.1.10 version of Safari that is running on a iMac OSX version 10.6.8 serial version W89497TP5PE
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: Average user since we purchase the machine new a number of years ago.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Adding the latest version of Adobe However it will not run video like youtube.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

To upgrade to latest Safari, you need to upgrade the current OS X to latest version. The latest OS X is 10.11 El Capitan. Upgrading to El Capitan also update Safari and other browsers.

Follow the steps below to upgrade the OS X if your Mac support it.

Click on the Apple icon and App Store. This will bring App Store. Click Updates tab. If your Mac can handle latest OS X, then you will see Mac OS X El Capitan there with FREE UPGRADE button. Click Free Upgrade and enter your Apple ID and password.

This will download the update. It may take a few hours to download. Once the download is completed, it will bring the OS X Installer. Follow the onscreen instructions to install it. It may take up to 3 hours to install the upgrade.

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will continue to help you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** is very slow as I am at 945 MB of 6.21 GB in the loading process after an hour and 40 min.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

No problem. Take your time and leave it turned on. To make sure the Mac doesn't go to Sleep mode, go to System Preferences > Energy Saver and set Sleep to Never. You can change it after upgrading.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks but I will wait to see if the download works. If it doesn't I will probably be back. Thanks again.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

If you are able to start the download, that means your Mac does support latest OS X. So the download will definitely work. After the download, it may take up to 2 hours to install it.

Make sure you don't turn off your Mac or internet connection. It need a stable internet connection to complete the download or you will have to start over. I see that you are not able to run videos on web like Youtube. I've a direct fix for it and you can apply it now.

We can uninstall old flash player and install a new version.

Click this link and this will download the flash player uninstaller file --> https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player_osx.dmg

After downloading, click on the Finder icon on dock, then click on Go menu and select Downloads. This will bring Downloads folder. Now you see a file named "uninstall_flash_player_osx.dmg" there. Double click on it to open. Then open flash player uninstaller file. Let it uninstall

Then download latest flash player from this link --> https://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/22.0.0.209/install_flash_player_osx.dmg

After downloading, click on the Finder icon on dock, then click on Go menu and select Downloads. This will bring Downloads folder. Now you see a file named "install_flash_player_osx.dmg" there. Double click on it to open. Then open flash player installer file and install it. Then you will be able to watch Youtube videos.