Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years

I'm trying to fix my daughter's MacBook Air. For a time it

Customer Question

I'm trying to fix my daughter's MacBook Air. For a long time it won't connect to our wi-fi. There are 5 computers in the house and this is the only one with this problem. It is not the provider, router or modem. There should be enough space and we've cleared out a lot of applications which were bogging it down. Diagnostics says it's connecting fine. We now have it connecting, but barely. It's slow as molasses and I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out the issue.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Air and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Mac OS X version 10.7.5
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: We've been trying to install updates (it keeps prompting us to update Firefox) but it won't do it. A software update failed.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It would take a long time to itemize. We've gone in and looked at the virtual and real capacities, speeds, etc. We've taken off all photos and apps that are large and could have been bogging it down. We've gone through all the steps to make sure it's not the internet provider's issue, etc.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It will now connect (didn't used to) but I can't describe how slow it is....essentially non-functional.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 month ago.

Hi, welcome to! My name is Mike.

I will need some information before we begin:

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:
The exact system Version (listed right under OS X ??)

Apps or Photos etc.. won't bog it down unless you have them all open t the same time

Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

As the first step, remove the power to your wifi router, wait 5 minutes, then connect the power and restart the Macbook Air

Let me know how it then performs.