John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Tried to restore from icloud--got almost done and the iphone

Customer Question

tried to restore from icloud--got almost done and the iphone restarted--finished restore this time but it won't recognize my password. I can login on icloud online and my other iphone with the normal password. My icloud backup is 9.3.5 and the new 6S is 9.3.3
JA: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?
Customer: no--was hoping not to have to change on the my imac and ipad too, but will give it a try. thanks
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes. the iphone i backed up to icloud was just updated to 9.3.5
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: recovery mode, reset but eventually they all come back to password
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: this is an iphone if it makes any difference
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 3 months ago.

It's possible the difference in iOS versions may be an issue, even if the revision is minor.

The following procedure is a special firmware recovery mode (DFU). It will erase your Apple device, removing any passcodes, re-install the lastest version of iOS, and then re-sync/restore user data once it is done.

Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest version of iTunes on your computer before attempting this:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

(Mac users can run System Preferences > Software Update (or “Apple Store” for OS X 10.9 users) > Check now to get the latest version for their system in most cases.)

* Open iTunes on your computer and connect the Apple device directly to it

* Turn off the Apple device (press the sleep/wake button on the top until you see the red slider and slide the red slider across to the right OR until the device completely shuts off).

* Hold down the sleep/wake button (on the top) AND the home button (on the front) for 10 seconds

* Release the sleep/wake button but CONTINUE to hold the home button, until...

* iTunes should pop up and tell you it’s found a device in recovery mode, click OK and continue along for the restore.

It may ask whether you wish to restore a backup from iTunes or from iCloud. You should use iCloud since it has the latest backup of your personal data.