Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My Macbook frequently freezes when I am working with Word or

Customer Question

My Macbook frequently freezes when I am working with Word or PowerPoint. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? Do I need to purchase the programs again? Is it caused by virus?
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook and what operating system are you running?
Customer: OS X 10.9.5
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I am likely due for updates.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Not much yet. I just recognized the pattern. It always seems to freeze when I am changing a header on my documents.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Perhaps I should try the updates first.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 month ago.

Can you please download and run the following tool?

It will collect information about your system for diagnostic purposes.

Run the app once it has downloaded

On the first screen, feel free to choose a problem but you can leave description blank since you’ve already told me. Next, click “Start EtreCheck”.

When it is finished collecting data, you may skip the donate screen and click “Share Report” and choose "Copy report to clipboard"

Then click “I Accept” and paste it back to me as a reply. (You should be able to paste it back by right-clicking or Ctrl-clicking where you type your reply to me and then choosing Paste from the pop-up menu).