Tara, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Technology Support Technician at CDW Corporation

I have a macbook pro, latest mac os. I had google earth

Customer Question

I have a macbook pro, latest mac os. I had google earth running a couple of days ago. I imported a large Kmz file and now it just hangs when I try to start up Google Earth. Says "loading my places.kml, including embedded overlays.." Google Earth is "non-responsive" when I do a force quit.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tara replied 1 month ago.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for contacting with your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you. I understand you are trying to run Google Earth on your MacBook Pro, but Google Earth is crashing after you have imported a large kmz file.

I found a solution to a similar problem on Windows, and I have tailored it to Mac OS X. Hopefully it will work for you in this case. The solution is below:

"Was GE previously installed? If it was, it is possible that your 'Places' file has become corrupted or is somehow interfering with GE. Try this:

-Locate your Places file, which is myplaces.kml. You'll find it in:

~/Library/Application Support/Google Earth

- When you get to the folder, right-click>rename the existing "myplaces.kml" to "old-myplaces.kml". You should also see a file there called "myplaces.kml.backup", which was the next to the last places file. If you have placemarks from a prior version that you want to try to recover, at that point rename the file "myplaces.kml.backup" to "myplaces.kml", then launch GE.

- If you still have the problem, go back to the folder above and delete that "myplaces.kml" file. Then try GE again. If it launches, it should appear with a new Places panel with just a sightseeing tour in it. If you want to try again to retrieve some of your former placemarks, you can then try opening old-myplaces.kml using GE's File>Open menu. If it opens, drag the items you want from Temporary Places to Places."

Please let me know if this worked for you.