Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years

My Mac will play DVDs but not CDs. The CDs whirr around for

Customer Question

My Mac will play DVDs but not CDs. The CDs whirr around for a bit & then eject
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: 8 years
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No - I'm on El Capitain
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing as I don't know what to do
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

Is it only happening on one CD or any CD you play

And what model Mac do you have?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have tried a number of CDs. I have never had this problem before. I have an old 20 inch 2008 Mac with OS El Capitan
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Can you do the following please

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Then when it has started, tell me if the CD now plays please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have done all that you suggested and it worked for 2 CDs & then didn't for any more. So I went through the whole process again of rebooting & pressing Option - Cmd - P -R at start up. After that no CDs would work at all & just kept ejecting
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

It is the internal diodes for the CD laser that has faulted, this now confirms it

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the mac to have the drive replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I still have to pay the £25 even though the issue has not been resolved. I guess that you did not read all the information that I gave you as a 2008 Mac is hardly going to still be under warranty.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

I read everything sent by you as I do with all my customers and it depends on where you purchased it from, if you purchased it reconditioned with a warranty then it would still have one. I never make an assumption here...

You have already paid the deposit which was for the service I provided to go through all possible causes and rule them out to confirm the problem.

This is what we did and what you paid for. If we were only paid for fixing an issue, no one would have taken your question due to the possibility of it not being resolvable.

You now have the issue confirmed and know what you need to do. If you do not wish to pay for the services received, then that is of course up to you

If you need anything else, please let me know