Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Cursor freezes but I have a login before homepage and need

Customer Question

hi. cursor freezes but I have a login before homepage and need to release ctrl to login and still freezes at home page.
JA: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?
Customer: I can't get further than freeze to try. I am using a secondary system to contact you.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: been away for 10 days and haven't used. can't recall doing so.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: just trying to reboot with startup. Newly experienced mac user sorry.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing I can think of
Category: Mac
Expert:  Tim replied 4 months ago.

Hey there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you. Can you please provide more detials as to what the problem is, when it started, what operating system?

Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

OK restart and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. This will activate Safe boot and it will check the drive for errors among other things. It may take longer to boot and you may see a progress bar during part of the process. If it starts up OK… login then restart the normal way from the Apple Menu. Let me know after.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have just returned from break and all working fine prior. I login with password ***** cursor frozen at top left screen s
Expert:  Mike replied 4 months ago.

Hold the power button for 10 seconds. Then start it up and hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo. This will activate Safe boot and it will check the drive for errors among other things. It may take longer to boot and you may see a progress bar during part of the process. If it starts up OK… login then restart the normal way from the Apple Menu. Let me know after.