Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My mac book pro will not load. A smallish rectangle file

Customer Question

My mac book pro will not load. A smallish rectangle file folder with a question mark inside is flashing on the screen. Hope it's simple ?????
Joanne nelson
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Unfortunately, this is not simple. The folder with question mark indicates that either the system files are corrupted or the hard drive of your Mac is failing or has failed and you’ll likely need to take it in to get it replaced. But before I send you out to do that, let’s check every possibility to be sure it isn’t something else in an effort to save you from that expensive repair

This usually happens if the system files are corrupted or if there is any issue with the hard drive. It could be the hard drive that is failing. We can run Disk Utility and see if it works or not. Turn off your Mac by holding down Power button for 10seconds. Then turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Disk Utility. Select your hard disk at left column(Macintosh HD or hard disk name). Then click Verify Disk (under First Aid). If asked to repair, click Repair Disk. Then click Repair Permission.

If you are using latest Mac OS X El Capitan, then you will not see Repair Disk option in Disk Utility. Instead click First Aid button and run it. Repair if asked.

Then restart from Apple menu. If that didn't work, then turn it off. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 5 seconds, then release the keys and immediately hold down Shift key for 20 seconds. Does it boot into desktop ?

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Note : Since your Mac is not booting up, I will not be able to connect to your Mac and fix it from here. So if you get a message about secure remote assistance, please ignore or disregard that offer. I will send you instructions in here.