Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service

I am stuck with my MAC i have tried everything, it is 10.8.0

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I am stuck with my MAC i have tried everything
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: it is 10.8.0 It is my uncles machine and it is not booting it is stuck on Loading bar apple i cant access Command R for some reason , so no way to get in to recovery mode it does notr start in safe mode either only thing i can do is Verbose mode or Singleuser mode
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Command + Option + R + P it works / restarts but does not solves the problem cant get into safe mode, can not get into recovery mode i do have a usb with yosemite bootable but no way to boot from usb either
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: all that i have told u is the story i am facing from last 2 days
JA: Thank you.
Customer: thank you , so i should wait?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

When you start the mac, please hold the left shift key to try and boot into safe mode. Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi there .. i am on my machine now .. and desperately need to fix this one

I understand. When you get it to boot up, as SOON as it boots up hold down left shift key. What happens?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
nothing happens it still takes me to grey screen where its just the apple logo
unable to get into safemode.. i have been troubleshooting from yesterday nonstop 24 hrs lol ..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Safemode - Shift alone does not work
Command + R - Does not work
Command + Option + R Does not work
Internet Recovery - Does not work ..Command+Option+R+P - Works but does not change/solve anything
Can get into Verbose Mode -
Can get into Singleuser Mode -

When you first start it again, and only hold down option, what happens?

Also, do you have another mac and an 8gb usb drive?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when i run FSCK ...this is the error i am facing volume Macintosh hd could not be verified completely /dev/rdisk0s2 exited with singnal 8...I think this is the cause of My machine

Can you tell me the model of mac it is?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i do have another mac & a USB Drive .. But as i said this one which is not working is unable to get into recovery or boot from USB mode
I already have Yosemite Bootable I made in 16Gb pen drive .. i am also not worried about data in this machine .. i ok with HARD format everything and reinstall OS
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
iMac 2011 , 10.8.0

What do you see if you hold down just the option key when starting the mac?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it shows Macintosh HD with icon

Perfect. Now plug in the usb, power on and hold option. What do you see?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Usb was already plugged..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i just tried other usb ports ..same just shows the hardrive when holding on the option/power on
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
by the way usb ports are ok .. bcs wired keyword and mouse are pugged and working finr all 4 ports

Then we need a usb that is formatted the way we need. What usb did you use?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
16 GB Sandisk Pendrive.. I used Transmac on Windows PC to make bootable pen drive for MAC

If you have come this far, this will seem repetitious, but it is what we need to get the usb to boot. It needs to be done

from your other mac. Not your windows.

Note that whichever method you use, you need a hard drive or thumb drive (USB stick) at least 5GB in size (an 8GB flash drive works well), and it must be formatted with a GUID Partition Table.

Please follow this article to create the drive so we can repair your other mac.

These issues often take time. I wont leave you until we come to a final resolution for you either way.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you want me to make the USB and come back ? will u wait ? or how is it going to work ?

Also, i wanted to let you know, you can purchase this for 15 on amazon fully loaded and ready.

That is quite a bit of work.

Did you want to create it or purchase it?

The only way it wouldnt see your usb is if it isnt formatted properly, or the hard drive needs to be replaced.

Once you create or buy the usb, then you update this ticket if you need help installing. (sounds like you already

know exactly how to do that though. You are no novice).