Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Got a new iPhone and transferred all my information to new

Customer Question

Got a new iPhone and transferred all my information to new phone. I can't get the music to play. My music shows up on the phone but when i try to play it, i get a message that says "Item Not Available This Item can't be played."
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The reason is, your musics are stored on iCloud and they have not downloaded to your iPhone yet. So go to Settings, tap Music and turn off iCloud Music Library. If it is off already, then turn it ON. Then turn it off.

Restart your phone. Then wait 3 minutes. Then go to Settings > Music and this time turn the iCloud Music Library back on. If asked to Merge or Delete, click Merge.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I go to settings , music, I don't see iCloud music as an option.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Do you see "Show Apple Music" ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Turn it off. Then turn it back on

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I did that
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Now we have to redownload them.

1. Open the iTunes Store app.
  2. At the bottom of the screen, tap More tap Purchased and tap Music.
  3. Tap "Not on This iPhone"
  4. Tap Download All

Let me know once you did that

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok so I got as far as "not on this phone " but didn't see "download all"
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

To make sure, you are using the same Apple ID (on this new iPhone) you used to purchase your music originally. Right ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

If you see Albums with cloud icon on the right side there, then tap it to download them.

If you don't see any albums, then open Music app and delete the greyed out or problem music albums (tap the 3 dots and tap Delete to delete them). Then goto iTunes Store > Purchased > Music and you should be able to redownload them from there by tapping the cloud button. Let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't see any of the things you've mentioned. No clouds, no grayed out anything.
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Open the Music app and delete the music or albums that have issues playing. Let me know once you did that

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My entire music library won't play!
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

The reason is, only the titles are there and the actual music files are not downloaded from cloud. We have to delete them and redownload them.

On your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage. Now tap Manage Storage under STORAGE. You will see Music there. Tap it. Under MUSIC heading, swipe left with your finger on All Songs and you will see Delete button. Tap it and they will be deleted.

Then do the following

1. Open the iTunes Store app.
  3. Tap "Not on This iPhone". Do you see your music there ?