Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My macbook pro only goes up to a certain point about three

Customer Question

Hi my macbook pro only goes up to a certain point about three quarters of the way under the apple then stops and I get a circle with a line through it so I tried your Resent PRAM AND NVRAM however it seems to be stuck at the same place again
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: It is about 4 yrs old and I upgraded it a few months ago while on holidays as I got a message to update and I did however I thought it was just the usual update but it was actually the latest version I think. Anyway it was working great for about a month and was working fine then one day I got the wheel and it just shut down
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes as I said in previous post
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have tried holding down the D key and also the SHIFT key and also your resent PRAM AND NVRAM nothing works
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

Could you tell me If the Apple logo changes color when this happens? This is important I know this

18 Aug 2016, 6:13 PM

Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

Do one fo the following:

10.11 or above

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run.
________

10.10 or below

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.