David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

I do not have google maps speaking to me through my blue

Customer Question

I do not have google maps speaking to me through my blue tooth in my automobile. (It speaks using just the phone).I have read numerous articles here and nothing has helped as of yet.This function was working fine??? I checked my settings and they seem to be in order. I notice when I open the Google maps and go directly to settings/ navigation settings the "play as Bluetooth phone call" is off. I turn it on and a and it still does not work. On my radio I see that Google is talking but again no sound. If I close the app and re-open it and go back to the settings the the "play as Bluetooth phone call" is off again. It does not stay on. Please be aware if I use the apple maps it works fine.
I have a:
iphone 6S Plus version 9.3.4
2007 Toyota Rav 4
Google maps version 4.21.1
Category: Mac
Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is***** am reviewing your question and will reply ASAP.

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

To set your cars audio to play the navigation audio, open the Google Maps app Google Maps and then tap the Menu and then Settings and then Navigation settings.

Next to "Play voice over Bluetooth," turn the switch on.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried this and it does not work
Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

In the top right, you should see a Sound icon. If it has a line through it tap it to unmute it, does it fix the problem?

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Sometimes voice directions aren’t downloaded or need to be updated on your phone or tablet. When this happens, you’ll hear a chime instead of voice directions.

1. Make sure you're connected to the Internet. Voice directions will download faster if you have a strong Internet connection.
  2. Get directions.
  3. Use the Google Maps app as you normally would. Voice directions will be downloaded while you have the Maps app open.
  4. When the voice directions are done downloading, you'll hear directions instead of chimes when navigating to a place.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did this as well
Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Ok. I'm referencing this article for those steps:

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3273406?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

It works fine for iOS maps without changing anything?

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

I'm asking in case the cars audio needs to be changed to BT.

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Have you tried changing the voice settings?

1. Go to your phone or tablets's settings app.
  2. Tap Language and input.
  3. Tap Text-to-speech output.
  4. Under "Preferred engine," select another text-to-speech option.
  5. Voice navigation will use the voice you selected. This will change the voice in other apps too.

If the same thing is happening please delete the Google Maps app on the iPhone and install it again. To delete the app tap and hold until the icons wiggle, then press the x to delete it, download and install again from the App store.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
David this app works fine without bluetooth. My bluetooth works with apple maps. I try this when Google fails. Then Apple works and I go right back to Google and it fails. I do see on my radio that google is "Talking" but no sound. So I think my connections to bluetooth are fine. I am just not sure if this is a valid statement.
Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

No, when stuff like this doesn't work as expected it can be really hard to even agree on what it is actually doing. Very confusing sometimes.

Try changing the voice settings in iOS as per above.

Try deleting the app and reinstalling it, and make sure iOS is up to date on the phone.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I my first response I told you I reinstalled google and again my radio says it is talking but no sound.
Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Ok, I've read and reread it a few times, I just want to make sure you've done that and that the iOS is up to date, and try changing the voice settings on the phone. Sorry to ask you to repeat stuff you did, you've tried a lot with this issue already so you've owned it longer than I have.

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Those steps from Google don't match the iOS sorry, let me just double check changing the voice settings.

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Here is the right article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202362

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

I would advise going through all, to make sure something is set for voice, and also "Choose a voice for Speak Screen and Speak Selection".

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Also when you're testing it after changing something, make sure Apple maps is closed in the background.

Force close an app:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

From a Google forum:

" Ensure Voice guidance is not muted in the Google Maps app (during navigation → bottom righthand menu → Unmute voice guidance)"

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can we speak over the phone by you calling me?
Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Have you changed the Guidance volume in the settings?

Made sure the stereo unit is not turned all the way down when it connects to Google Maps?

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

If I am to phone I must send a premium service offer.

If you want to continue as normal thats ok too.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not yet struggling to keep up with the communications.
Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Ok. I will relist the suggestions I think should be tried.

Change voice options on the phone:

Make sure Apple Maps is closed:

Double check the volume on the car stereo when switching to Google maps audio.

Restart the phone, press and hold the power button and power it off, then on after it fully shuts down.

After restart verify voice works again with out Bluetooth.

Then change navigation settings in the app to play voice over bluetooth, connect and try navigate directions.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
David no offence to you but I am not liking this. I spoke to apple prior to speaking to you. I would like to get a refund on my charges and move on with a different app if necessary. Can you do this for me?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I tried these things:
Double check the volume on the car stereo when switching to Google maps audio.Restart the phone, press and hold the power button and power it off, then on after it fully shuts down.After restart verify voice works again with out Bluetooth.Then change navigation settings in the app to play voice over bluetooth, connect and try navigate directions.
Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Sure, but it's worth persevering with those few steps. If you want to take a break from it and try them later it's all good. You can get back to me later too.

If you are not happy you can contact customer service for any refund requests. There's a 100% satisfaction guarantee and you would be fully refunded if you request.

But I would suggest taking a break from it, and trying those suggestions, and getting back to me in your own time.

Sincerely,

David.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay when you say change the voice settings are you referring going from Siri to Alex.
Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

And the other settings in that article, yes.

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Download the higher quality, set a voice for speak screen and speech selection, and test. If same try Alex. Also set the navigation audio to louder in Google Maps app on the phone.

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Double check the BT connection from the unit in the car, restart it etc.

And force Apple Maps to close, so it's not running in the background:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201276

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is higher quality "enhanced" Apple maps is closed.
Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Yes, it says you might need to be on wifi to download it, but I'm not sure if it forces that. It might work over the phone data connection.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Siri Male enhanced is already selected
Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

It could be the unit in the car that is not working exactly as it should, a protocol mismatch or something. I read suggestions from Google reps advising to check with the OEM distributor of the stereo system.

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Is there a make and model number on the car unit that I could try find a manual for it?

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

You might find it on the display unit in settings or someplace.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
in the question I submitted.
Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

Toyota are the car manufacturer, of course, but the OEM manufacturer of the stereo unit in the car might be different. It might be with the car literature or it might be an after market unit.

Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

There is also the option of restoring the iPhone to factory settings, and in setting it up, don't restore from a backup just set it up as new to test it, install the app and test it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
David thank you for your efforts. I did what you suggested and I still do not have sound. I did not re-set my phone or look into the manufacture of the radio due to the fact the Bluetooth works with everything else to my knowledge except Google maps.. Apple maps and music work fine through the Bluetooth now and before we spoke. FYI prior to speaking with you like I said earlier I did speak with Apple and they referred me to Google. I also spoke with them again today and was not successful. One other thing my daughter is also experiencing this issue as well since mid June in her car. Now I can say this the one thing I did prior to this for me was to update my phone to Apple's latest version "That's why I contacted Apple to see if this was a known issue". I don't believe this is an issue since my daughter is having the same issue since June. Last but not least I did delete Google maps from my phone. Then I did turn off my phone. Later today I will start my phone again and reinstall Google maps to see I it resolves this issue. Thanks again if you have any questions or comments please get back to me.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
David please direct me to customer service so I can request a refund.
Expert:  David replied 8 months ago.

It comes down to ownership of the problem at the end of the day. Does Apple own the problem with their update, or do Google need to update the Maps app. Have Google or Apple updated a protocol bundled into an update, that is not working properly with the bluetooth audio protocols used in car units. It can be a quagmire trying to find out who owns the issue when it is so easy to refer you to a different provider.

Here is some information on requesting a refund including a link to take you to the right place to request it:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0