Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My MacBook Pro is slow to boot up and isn't the speed it was

Customer Question

My MacBook Pro is slow to boot up and isn't the speed it was when i bought it can you help me reset it or is this the right thing to do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Webroot is a resource hog, it serves a purpose ( to protect you from viruses ) but it serves that purpose at the cost of your speed and mac performance.

So here is what I suggest, run a scan with webroot.. if it doesnt find anything then you are virus free. So uninstall it. heres how,

Please try this below.

To uninstall Webroot SecureAnywhere,

1. Shut down SecureAnywhere by clicking the Webroot icon in the menu bar and selecting Shut Down SecureAnywhere.
    If prompted, confirm that you want to shut down SecureAnywhere.
  2. Open the Finder by clicking the Finder icon in the dock.
  3. Open the Applications directory.
  4. Click and drag the Webroot SecureAnywhere program icon into the Trash in the dock.

A confirming window appears. Click Uninstall.
    Webroot SecureAnywhere is now uninstalled.

Once uninstalled.. Lets focus on speeding up your mac.

Thanks, ***** ***** with some general repairs, and then we will focus on specific programs after.

Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application.

On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the upper right hand side click first aid, and run first aid.

Once it says first aid complete.. Shut down your mac

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Then, let the mac start.. next, and this is important.. Follow the steps on this page to locate the most current EFI and SMc updates for your mac

Install the correct updates one at a time ( there should be two ), and then restart your mac.

Now, there are other steps we can and may need to do, but I will stop here so we can discuss the steps above and do our best to complete them before moving on.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.