Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Ashik, I've tried all solutions and nothing worked. Actually

Customer Question

Hi Ashik, I've tried all solutions and nothing worked. Actually when I tried safe mode I couldn't type and then got the gray background and circle with diagnosed line with the overlapped text from safe mode, looked very strange. This all started because my apps were not launching and after reading I tried this in terminal: sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.syslogd.plist
Now I'm here. Do you have any suggestions for me?
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I first noticed that says logs was taking heavy cpu usage and tried that command. I do have a time machine backup from a couple weeks ago on an external. I attached a picture of screen after last solution.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Sorry for the delay. The no entry sign indicates that the Mac can't find the system files to boot the OS X. We may need to reinstall the O SX

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?

Note : Since your Mac is not booting up, I will not be able to connect to your Mac and fix it from here. So please ignore the remote support offer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for being expedient in responding. I have El Capitan, I believe the most recent version. I really hope you can help me figure this out. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I also have a time machine backup on an external.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I tried to restore but during the process it couldn't locate my internal ssd
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Since your apps were not working properly and you are now getting blocked sign, the best option is re installation of OSX. You can reinstall your Mac OS X. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new one and that should fix the problem.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X.

If that didn't work,then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command, Option and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and this will boot your Mac to installation screen. Follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

"I tried to restore but during the process it couldn't locate my internal ssd". I hope the partition of OS X isn't corrupted. Did you already try to reinstall OS X ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I haven't. I just tried to restore from time machine backup and the result was the circle diag line. I just tried startup while holding cmd and r and now at the welcome screen for installation, should I continue?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Yes. Then select Reinstall Mac OS X and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall. It may take couple of hours

Reinstall may fail if the partition of the SSD is corrupted. So if reinstall doesn't work, then we have to erase the SSD to rebuild the SSD and then you can either reinstall the OS X and/or restore from Time Machine. Let me know it goes please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When trying to reinstall OS X there is no disk listed when prompted "select disk where you want to install OS X."
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's not recognizing my internal ssd
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

There are two causes for this problem. Either the partition of the SSD is corrupted or the SSD itself is failing which is very unlikely to happen. That is why you are unable to reinstall it and it is not appearing as a destination to reinstall.

You have three options in here. First is, buy Disk Warrior (powerful disk utility application)and try to repair your SSD or recover your files with it. If it is unable to fix the SSD, then it will at least help you to recover the latest files thatare readable and save them to an external drive. Get it from here : http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

Disk Warrior is costly. If you don't want to recover any files or have backup, then you don't have to buy Disk Warrior. It is not worth it if you don't have any important files/applications.Disk Warrior will not fix it if the SSD is failing.

Second is, if you have another Mac and a Thunderbolt/Firewire cable, then you can setup Target Disk Mode and this will allow you to mount the SSD of this Mac to that like an external SSD and you will be able to back up your non backed up files --> https://support.apple.com/kb/ph10725?locale=en_US

(After backing up,you can reinstall the OS X after erasing the drive.)

Third is, you can erase the SSD and try to install a fresh version of Mac OS X in it. This will erase everything from your SSD unfortunately. Boot into the Mac OS X Utilities screen just like you did before (Command and R). In there, select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your SSD in left column and erase it. Then close Disk Utility and continue installation. This is the quickest solution if you don't mind losing the files in it. You can restore from Time Machine after reinstalling the OS X.

Let me know how it goes

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

If you have your important files backed up already, then you can try the third solution. Again, only do that if you have the important files are backed up.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When erasing I got an error saying process failed. In details it says it could not mount disk
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

I'm afraid we're dealing with a failed SSD. In Disk Utility, Select the main SSD in left column (the first in list, not Macintosh HD). Then click on Partition tab. Change the partition format to something else from Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). Click Apply button. This will partition it and try to rebuild the partition. Then change it back to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and click Apply again. Now, try to erase it. Does it work ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

How is it going ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That operation failed. It also said when repartitioning...the volume "SSD" is not journaled. As a result it can not be resized. To enable journal cancel partitioning and use the "enable journaling"command under the "file" menu.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Enable journaling is grayed out
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

SSDs seldom fail. Not sure what happened here. We can try to force erase and partition it.

In OS X Utilities screen, click on Utilities menu at the top bar and select Terminal.

Type the following and press return

diskutil cs list

It will show some list of drives. Copy the UUID of Logical Volume Group.

Then type the following and press return

diskutil cs delete type UUID oflogicalvolume group here

Let me know once you did that.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When inputting diskutil cs list and pressing return it says no corestorage logical volume groups found
-bash-3.2#
I just purchased this ssd 5 months ago
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

I'm really sorry Tim. The results from Terminal confirm it is is an hardware issue. It is the SSD that has failed. All other components like logic board, processor, memory etc are fine. It also could be a loose connection inside the Mac (on the cable goes from SSD to board). Can you check that ? Also If you have another computer there, is there any way you can test this SSD on that Mac ?

If not, then you have to get the SSD replaced. All SSD comes with atleast 2 year warranty. So you can take it back and it will be replaced under warranty without any cost.

I'm really sorry I couldn't solve your problem, but this seems to be something we can't fix online. We've already tried the two available erase and repartitions methods. There is no other option we can try on this Mac.

I know you are looking for a solution, but I'm sorry. If you are not satisfied, please don't rate me bad or poor. You are rating my service to you, not the answer or outcome. If you are not satisfied, then you don't have to rate anything.

Let me know what you think

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sad news. Just two days ago my Mac started taking noticeably more time to respond. Makes sense it's the hard drive bc otherwise the machine is trying. I'm going to open it up now with crossed fingers.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Sorry. That is indeed related to SSD. Slowness = delay in read and write speed = failing SSD (or hard drive)

I can assure you all the other components like logic board, processor etc are fine.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just re connected my ssd and getting a blinking folder icon. On restart should I try something you suggested?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Blinking folder indicates that it can't find the SSD or system files to load OS X. Restart to OS X Utilities screen and try to erase it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

If it has worked for 5 months and suddenly slowed down, then you should consider getting it replaced under warranty. These kind of problems with SSD are rare and I'm afraid this one is failing.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Ashik, I just received my new Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500gb. I did notice when troubleshooting last night there was about 2.2 gb worth of settings storage on old ssd. Is there anyway I can get this onto new hard drive? Also, I'll be installing new ssd now and I'm assuming on startup and after formatting I will just install using the time machine backup? If you can help me just a little further I'd be very thankful!
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, I am very sorry for the delay. We may not be able to recover them beecause we already erased the SSD. However if you have another Mac there, you can connect both Macs and see if the Other SSD can be recognised.

Yes, after formatting or erasing the new SSD you can do a restore from Time Machine or you can reinstall OS X first and then do time machine restore afterwards.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm having issues. When going to disk utility then erase tab then renaming and clicking erase. It tries to erase and then fails. It won't create a partition or anything. I had a friend on phone trying to give advice and he said I might need a usb bootable disk or something. What do you think?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

If you are in Disk Utility, then your don't need USB OS X drive. But you must do it from OS X Utilities screen. Restart and immediately hold down Command, Option and R key for 20 seconds to boot into OS X Utilities screen

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

If you are in Disk Utility, then your don't need USB OS X drive. But you must do it from OS X Utilities screen of Internet recovery. Restart and immediately hold down Command, Option and R key for 20 seconds to boot into OS X Utilities screen

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Newer Macs can boot the OS X Utilities directly from Internet by holding down Command, Option and R keys without USB Bootable drive. This Internet recovery will let allow you to erase and reinstall OS X on the drive

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Internet recovery is almost complete and then should be in OS X utility. It failed when I first tried to erase new ssd. I had selected the (journaled) one and renamed but failed. ...I am now at OS X utility screen.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Open Disk Utility, select the main one in left column, click Partition and select or do 2 Partitions and click Apply. Then change it back to 1 Partition again and apply again.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Strange, now it's not showing my new ssd
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Can you double check if it is connected properly ? Also check its cable

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

You can also attempt to erase it with the Terminal commands I sent you before. If it returns no core storage found that means it can't recognize the SSD properly. So make sure the SSD is connected properly

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Right now it's going through Internet recovery startup
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

OK let me know how it goes

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I selected 2 partitions and clicked apply. It worked for about 5 seconds then said "partition failed with the error: unable to write to the last block of the device"
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Is there any way you could test this drive or another computer ?

Sometimes Partitioning or erasing from another Mac or Pc may work

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Can you also attempt to erase it via Terminal?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can you send me instructions again?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Type the following and press return

diskutil cs list

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On first attempt it said No CoreStorage logical volume groups found. I then took out ssd again and put back in, started up and again it's not picking up the ssd??
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was showing the drive earlier but now it doesn't seem to be picking it up
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
frustrating!
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.
I'm starting to think the issue is with the cable or connection. Is there any way you can test this SSD on another computer ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Which model of Mac is this ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
MacBook Pro 2012
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

First reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Follow the steps below;

Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Then reset RAM and NVRAM

Shut down your Mac
Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.
Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

Does it allow you to erase now ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I put old ssd in and it shows up. Should I try to erase it using terminal? Also, what do you mean by this...
It will show some list of drives. Copy the UUID of Logical Volume Group.Then type the following and press returndiskutil cs delete type UUID oflogicalvolume group here"Not sure what to do here.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Yes. When you enter diskutil list it will show list of available drive and partiton with some details

You will see an alphanumerical characters or some kind of serial number at top of details in line Logical Volume Group. That is the SSD

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

The last command
diskutil cs delete UUID of logical volume group number

Will force erase the drive and create new Partition.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I put new ssd in to see if it's recognized. I didn't try to delete the old ssd yet. What should I do, put the old one back and try deleting in terminal first and test old ssd again? If that doesn't work try again with new ssd?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Yes

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

IsIssues with cable run between the SSD and logic board may cause this. Is there any way you can test the SSDs on another computer ?