Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

A person who I reached at a telephone number listed on the

Customer Question

A person who I reached at a telephone number listed on the web who calls himself an apple employee has offered to remove malware from my computer if I pay $299 for a "one year contract" has offered to help me. Is this person a fraud? My computer has been running very slowly and I think that it does have malware. What should I do.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

No, don't call that person. They are SCAM. These kind of scams have been there for many years. Don't pay him. Apple doesn't have any of these $299 plans or annual contracts and they would never contact you regarding this.

Re the slow issue, it is not malware causing it. That is probably some other issue, like system files corruption etc

I assume you got that malware message from Safari .Right ?

And what version of Mac OS X are you using ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am using version 10.10.5. Yes, my default browser is Safari.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

First of all, clear that Safari browser. So any track of malware viruses/malware websites will be deleted. In Safari, click on Safari menu and select Clear History and Website Data. Clear everything.

Then download and install this Malwarebytes AntiMalware application from here -->

Then open Malwarebytes AntiMalware application and run a Scan with it. Delete if it finds anything. It will find and remove all malwares if any.

Also, go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (Macintosh HD), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk. This will fix system files corruption etc

Also reset your PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac and this will speed things a little up.

Shut down your Mac

Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.

Release the keys and let the Mac boot up.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 months ago.

Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?