Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I forgot my admin password and cant install software can you

Customer Question

Hi
I forgot my admin password ***** cant install software can you help
Category: Mac
Expert:  James Gilmer replied 4 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.

Thank you for your question. I will do my best to assist you. My name is Jamie.

I am going to direct you to a page that gives you a few options on how to reset your admin password, or retrieve it.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/what-do-if-youve-forgotten-your-mac-password-3594395/

let me know if you need any assistance with any of these options.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that did not help me i have already googled that and thats why i just paid $50 for your service

I am about to be leaving, will see if someone else can help you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is someone else going to help me otherwise cancel this 24 hour service i signes up too
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
signed
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

It has been four minutes since expert opted out. We are human and need to 'type' responses. If you cancel, that is fine, but this is how

we operate. We give you suggestions or offer remote support (optional to fix it for you offer) and we communicate back and forth

until we find a resolution if there is one.

I am new to your issue, can you tell me if you tried this (or please try one more time so we can rule it out)?

To get started, you will need to restart your computer. Press the Command and R keys at the same time when the grey screen appears and hold them until you see the Apple logo. A small loading bar will appear under the logo. Sit tight as your system boots into Recovery Mode.

Click the Utilities tab in the top menu bar, select Terminal, type resetpassword and press Enter. Close out the Terminal window and behind it you will find the Reset Password *****. All you have to do now is select the user account you want to reset, enter a new password or leave it blank and click Save. Then just simply restart the computer from the Apple menu and login with your new password. It's as easy as that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thanks but when I do the command and R it does nothing

When you press them together, do you keep them held down the entire time IMMEDIATELY after

you power up the Mac?

What about command option and R? Can you try that for me?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That still doesnt work

Can you tell me what happens?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
nothing my computer loads as usual

are you using usb, wireless, apple or mac keyboard on the computer itself?

also, (this will sound odd) is there an R in your password?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have both a wireless keyboard and windows keyboard plugged in through USB, If I was to try my windows keyboard what would i push

I understand. But, you need to get rid of the windows keyboard and try the steps again without it.

(windows keyboard is useless for what we need to do)

Can you try it with just the mac keyboard for me again? or have a replacement mac only keyboard we can use.

We need those exact 'buttons/key' functions on it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have disconnected and left only Mac wireless keyboard connected and tried both option you selected

When you started it up and held the command + R or the Command + Option +R

when you first boot it up and hold them down, did it ever give you that grey screen?

The reason i am so persistent is due to needing those keys. If those arent working on your

keyboard, we may need another that will allow those keys to work properly.

Also, as SOON as you press power, can you hold down just option key? And keep it held through

the power up. Can you tell me what happens? (please keep windows keyboard disconnected)