Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

The keychain password that I have is reported as wrong. I

Customer Question

The keychain password ***** I have is reported as wrong. I have tried varieous passwords, but all are rejected. I find no page to reset the password. This happened after a new printer was installed. The technician installed the printer without using my password. Please suggest how to repair. I am submitting this from my iPad as I can not use the computer.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you know the version of Mac OS X you are using on it ? If you don't know it, then how old is this Mac ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 months ago.

Keychain password ***** ***** as the login or administrator password. Did you try those ? If they are not working, then try iCloud password.

If you don't remember it, then you can reset the password ***** booting into Mac OS X Utilities screen. If you are using 10.7 or later version of OS X, then follow the steps below to fix the issue (if you are using 10.6 or lower version or if this Mac is 6+ years old, then let me know as the instructions are slightly different)

Follow the steps below to reset the password.

Turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button for 5-10 seconds.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Click on the“Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal".

In Terminal, type (without space)--> resetpassword

Press return. This will bring Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at top column,select the user account from the drop down under it, confirm the user account and then change password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.

Turn it back on. After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create New Keychain.

If you are still getting keychain error, then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

Go to System Preferences > iCloud and click Sign Out. If asked to keep or delete stuffs, click Keep. If you only see Delete, then do it. Then in Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu at the top bar and select Library. This will open Library folder. Trash Keychain folder in there and restart your Mac. Login with the password ***** reset.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. If you face any issues, please let me know and I will walk you through it

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Instructions did not solve the problem. Cancel this request. I will have to find onsite help. Thank you for trying.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 months ago.

If you have any difficulty following the steps, let me know and I'm happy to walk you through it. If you don't want to continue, then I will request refund for you. You can also email to***@******.*** for refund.

Please don't rate this answer bad or poor or anything. You don't have to rate anything and ignore the rating requests please.

Best Regards,