Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My MacBook Pro has multi coloured lines going up and down

Customer Question

My MacBook Pro has multi coloured lines going up and down the left hand side of the screen and white lines going across the bottom of the screen.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Under 12 months and not sure what operating system
JA: What OS X (Operating System, e.g. Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, etc.) are you running?
Customer: OK let me check
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: How do I find out what operating system - I think it is Yosemite and yes I think I did an auto update a few days ago. I haven't tried any trouble shooting yet.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Mac
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, for test purposes; have you tried connecting the MacBook Pro to an external monitor?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No. i do not have one.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Offhand, it would appear to be a screen problem and using an external monitor would serve as a test and to confirm.

Perhaps the video HERE may shed insight.

Please post back how you would want to approach this and/or should additional information be needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will watch the video and get back to you.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As I mentioned to you I don't have a spare screen so what else do you suggest.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

And as posted above, a likely internal hardware issue; i.e. a failed screen.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was hoping for at least a couple of options from you. If I wanted to use You Tube I would have but I thought I was getting some specialised help. Surely there are other options we can try.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

The symptoms described are rather specific hence the likely suspect is likewise specific and rather than provide false hope, the above test was proposed.

Still, hopefully an alternate approach can be provided by other members of the site.

The question would be re-opened as I would rather opt out.

Good luck with the MacBook Pro.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What do you mean re-opened. Do I have to pay again.
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

The question has been placed back in the 'pool' hence viewable by all other members of the site.

My participation is strictly limited to technical, repair and/or installation issues.

On "...Do I have to pay again..." and other billing & payment concerns, contact Customer Service to have this taken cared of prior to any / all other interactions.