Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Are you real/ I have and old mac book I had the grey of

Customer Question

are you real/
JA: No. I'm the Mac Technician's Assistant.
Customer: I have and old mac book I had the grey of death
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook and what operating system are you running?
Customer: i don't remember exactly but i think is lepard
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: holding commad R on and off few times
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: ok
Category: Mac
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Let me explain how this will work for you. You went thru an automated system, then got sent to a human.

I will ask you questions, you reply and we come up with several techniques (if needed) to troubleshoot your

error. But, please keep in mind, not all hardware/software can be fixed. Especially grey screens like you have,

but if we work together, we can try as much as possible to get it going again.

Try this for me first?

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Let me know what happens?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the screen turn black then grey and few minutes the apple log and the spinning wheel show up them nothing.

Okay, lets turn the computer completely off.

Turn on computer, hold down left shift key.

Tell me what you see. Please do a full shut down

before doing this. Try this 2xs and then try it with the

right shift key the same way 2xs.

Let me know if you get any other options.

Hi, i havent heard back since you read my reply.

Did you still need help with this issue? Please reply back if so, and we will continue troubleshooting or

close the question as resolved.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not working yet I installed Mac OS I got this lert 4hod/11/400004:data also fail volume of catalog b-tree

It sounds like you have a failed fcsk check issue. Some people can get past that by this:

I am going to open this up to another expert for more suggestions. Try that while

you are waiting.

1. Boot to single user mode (cmd + s on start)

2. Mount the failing hdd

/sbin/mount -uw /

3. Exit single user mode by typing "exit" at prompt

4. (Not sure if this step is necessary.) Press the on/off button once.

Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, then hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. If you can't get to that menu just hold the power button for 10 seconds until it shuts down. Then start it up again holding those keys. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go.

When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) select the First Aid tab if it is not already selected, then click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Disk Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.