Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps

I have the same problem my mac is not detecting build-in

Customer Question

I have the same problem my mac is not detecting build-in camera. The battery could not remove it
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: not too much
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Reset SMC
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I am not sure, I think that this problem start after installed VM Virtualbox or upgraded to El Capitan
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be answering your inquiry today!

I took a look at the issue that you are having and it is a pretty straightforward issue to troubleshoot.

1.) Try various applications on the Mac to make sure that it is NOT application specific.

2.) Try another user to see if the issue is user-specific.

3.) Check System Profiler (in the Utilities folder, inside the Applications folder). Under the USB header, check to see if the camera is detected.

You could also try a command line fix and see if that works.

Quit all open apps that may try to use the camera

Open Terminal, found in the /Applications/Utilities directory in OS X

Enter the following command strings exactly, then hit return:

sudo killall VDCAssistant

Still at the terminal, issue the following command as well:

sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant

Enter the administrator password ***** requested, this is required to execute a command with superuser privileges as prefixed by sudo

Relaunch the app that was attempting to use the camera.

Let me know if this works! If it doesn't reply back and we will try something else.

If it does, please rate my answer so that I may receive credit!

Thank you for using Just Answer!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1) It is not detected on FaceTime, PhotoBooth and iMovie
2) I created new user and nothing happend.
3) The camera is not detected on sysmtem profiler.
I previously tried about sudo with not results.I got "no matching processes were found".

I am at a loss as to what to do next so what I am going to do is give another Expert the chance to resolve this at no cost to you. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to answer your question! We will find a solution to this! Thank you!

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 2 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

First safeboot your system by following below steps:

1. Be sure your Mac is shut down.
  2. Press the power button.
  3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
  4. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
  5. Wait while safe mode boots up. It will take a lot longer than regular OS X.
  6. Log in (press shift-enter instead of enter after putting in your password ***** log in without login items.)
  7. You are in safe mode

Please check with some apps whether the camera is working or not.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jins,
Thanks for your quick response.
I did safe mode and open FaceTime, Photobooth and iMovie; and all of them shows camera is not available.Thanks,
Expert:  David replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is David.
I would suggest that you try resetting the System Management Controller, as the camera is not seen in System Profiler.

If you try those steps and it is still not shown in System Profiler then it is a hardware issue, you would need to take it to an authorised repair shop or Apple store for hardware repair. I hope it does fix it!

Expert:  David replied 2 months ago.

Sorry, also try the NVAM reset. Less likely to work but worth the attempt.

Let me know how it goes, thank you!

Hello Sir, sorry for the delay in reply. If it is not working on Safe mode please try the following:

Open a Terminal window

On terminal window type the command sudo killall VDCAssistant and hit return.

Restart the system and check the result.