Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I can't log in, I changed houses & didn't use my iMac for

Customer Question

I can't log in
JA: Have you tried having password ***** directions emailed to you?
Customer: I changed houses & didn't use my iMac for about 3 weeks. When I switch it on & when I click on the log in button nothing happens
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I don't really know what to do
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Nothing
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 2 months ago.

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer

Please tell me which email id is causing problem ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried my own use account as well as guest account. When I click on the buttons nothing happens
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you want my Apple ID?

I initially thought you are not able to login to your email id. But it seems you are trying to login to your mac. Please try below instructions and reset your password :-

Use Recovery Mode

A final option for resetting your password ***** ***** use Apple’s recovery tools. This will perhaps be the easiest approach in most cases, and can be done with the following procedure:

1. Reboot into Recovery mode or Internet Recovery by holding Command-R at startup.
  2. Choose Terminal in the Utilities menu.
  3. Enter resetpassword (all one word, and lowercase) in the Terminal window and press Return.
  4. Select your boot drive in the utility that appears.
  5. Choose your user account from the pop-up menu.
  6. Click the button to reset the account’s password ***** supply a new one when prompted.

If you use FileVault encryption with your Mac, the password ***** utility will not show your boot drive until you first unlock it with Disk Utility. To do this, open Disk Utility where you will see your drive grayed out in the list of devices. Select it and click the Unlock toolbar button and then, after supplying your password ***** unlock the drive, you can select your disk in the password ***** utility.