Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

IMAC IPholto stopped responding. Considerable. Worked

Customer Question

IMAC IPholto stopped responding.
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: Considerable. Worked yesterday. I have over 30,,000 pictures on file. What Can I do to restore.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Not aware of any troubleshooting options for IPhoto
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Not, Please help. My Mac is 0X-2 10.6.8 Verion
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 2 months ago.

First we want to make sure, that the old iPhoto library is still there....there means in yourUsers folder.

So goto Macintosh HD (home disk), open the folder named Users and you can a folder with your Username (eg: Scott), so open it, then Pictures folder and you can see the iPhoto library in there (must select old library).

Right Click (control +click) on it and choose Show Package Contents from the pop-up, now iPhoto library will be open in Finder. Now, you can see a folder named "Originals".

Then open iPhoto (from the dock or from Applications) while holding down the option key. Choose create new library and create a new library with different name (name must be different and not the same of old library). Now hide iPhoto (just hide it into dock and don't close it)

Then from finder, drag the originals folder into iPhoto icon on the dock and all the files will import into your new library.