Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

About 3 years ago I switched from an i-mac to a lap top: OS

Customer Question

About 3 years ago I switched from an i-mac to a lap top: OS X YOsemite, version 10.10.5 (serial # C2QNNOEUG4H1. I lost all the photos in my I-photo albums. Is there any way to get them back?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

When actually did you lose them ?

What happens when you open iPhoto ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Lost when I switched from my old computer, 3-4 years ago (I Mac) to new lap top. When I open I-Photo, only one photo turns up. It is now just called "photo" and none of my albums are there. Library is empty.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would it help if you connected to my device? I can't see why that would help.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

In Finder, click on Go menu and select Home. This will open Home folder. Open Pictures folder and how many libraries do you see there ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

If you accept remote connection service, then I will connect to your Mac and try to fix the issue myself for you while you watch. If I couldn't solve your problem, then you will get full refund.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi...can't find "GO menu in finder....how do I do this?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Ok, do this. Close Photos if it is open. Hold down Option key on your keyboard and open Photos app. How many libraries do you see in the resulting box ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
went to Photos" and black background with 1 recent photo in it and no libraries. Have tried that many times over the last several years. Can't afford to switch to a Secure Remote Assistance === sorry. MB
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have a feeling this isn't going to be solved....same old, same old. Can I have my $30 back if you give up? MB
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Remote service is optional. I don't know how you lost it, so I'm trying to figure it out. Did you do what I said ?

Close Photos app if it is open. Then hold down Option/alt key and open Photos while holding it down. What do you see on the screen ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
did what you said...even with Option/alt key and Photos get the same black background and 1 current photo when I go to "libraries"....nothing more.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think this isn't going to work....is there a way to contact I-photo directly and get them to retrieve my photo albums?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Yes, but I'm trying to if the iPhoto library is there.

Lets check if the photos are even there on the Mac. Click on the blue Finder icon on the dock. Then hold down Option/alt key, click on Go menu at the top bar, top of the screen, click on Go menu and select Pictures. This will bring Pictures folder. How many files do you see there and what are they ?

BTW If I couldn't solve your problem, you will get full refund. So no worries.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok -- so I clicked on the finder...up came "all my files" and no GO menu, so I went to "system preferences" also no "GO menu".
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My "finder" is acting weird...use to bring up Applications...anyway...none of them have a " go mean" at the top.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

In Finder, click on Go menu, select Home. In Home, open Pictures folder. The Go menu is on the top bar, top of the screen and you will see Go menu only if you are in Finder window.

Also, search JPG in spotlight (searchbox or magnifier at top right) and does it return your pics ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok found the Go menu at the very top...clicked there and no
pictures" listed.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

In Finder, click on Go menu, select Home. In Home, open Pictures folder. How many and what files do you see there ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
JPG brings up nothing. GO and the HOME brings up Picturs folder and it's the same old, same old, recent one photo, inc in the "library"....I think the truth is that I-photo did not switch my photo album over to my new computer....and there may be not way to get the old albums....n'est-ce pas?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Time to give up?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

All the photos are saved in single file called iPhoto Library. Search iPhoto Library in Spotlight and does it return anything ?

It sounds like it is not switched to your new Mac. Do you still have the old Mac or any Time Machine backup ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actually I unfortunately have to leave now... I think we should end this wild goose chase, and I should get my $30 back....ok?
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Sure. Please email to customer support at *****@******.*** for refund. I'm really sorry, it seems like the library wasn't transferred to this Mac. Atleast if the library is there, we would be able to recover the albums/photos. Sorry I couldn't solve your issue

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK -- thanks...hope this "Support" help is quick as I have an appt. Go well....
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Just email them and they will take care of it. I'm only a tech in here, so I don't have access to your account to process refund.

Best Regards,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks...I emailed them, got a general response..we'll see. Hopefully it will be taking care of. Best, MB
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

They will reply. Have a good day !

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks, ***** ***** I keep getting emails saying I haven't responded to you, but I think I have. Thanks....and have a good day.
Expert:  Ashik replied 6 months ago.

Hi there, Those are automated messages. Please ignore them.

Best Regards,