Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Have Quark 8 on my iMac which runs El Capitan. I can't get

Customer Question

Hi, have Quark 8 on my iMac which runs El Capitan. I can't get Quark to recognise certain fonts, but other applications like Illustrator have no problems. Any ideas?
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: Well, I've had it a while.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've tried installing the font via Font Book and Font Explorer X Pro, I've also tried quitting and rebooting.
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No, that's it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

What specific version of quark 8? Any 8.1 etc behind it?

Friendly reminder ONLY:

If you would like to have a more hands on support through Secure Remote Assistance, I will send you an offer and I will be able

to log in and perform the fix for you. We offer this as an easier solution for clients. It is 100% guaranteed

money back if we cannot resolve your issue.

If you would like to continue with written instructions, that is absolutely fine as well. Just click the reject when you see the

offer and we will continue immediately in this manner going forward.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Isaac
No, it's just version 8.

Okay, can you try to run this update for me: I saw you were online a few minutes ago.

If you can do this today? (have time) please update with this version and let me know the

results. It should work for you. If it doesnt, we can do further troubleshooting. I will be in the

office all day today/evening.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi IsaacThanks; I'll do it now.RegardsPaul

Thank you. Let me know the results or 'error' if any, and we will go from there. I will be here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi IsaacNo dice. The installer says it's not compatible with this OS. See attached screenshot.

Thank you. Give me just a few minutes to review.

Okay, please go to this page:

where it says disc image with a blue link, please download and install that. Then open the program,

and run the update i gave you within the program itself.

If you get stuck let me know. This will allow the quark update to recognize fonts. it is NOT compatible with your el capitan.

This is a way to bypass it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi IsaacDone that; installed Pacifist, installed the update, and now Quark thinks it's a trial version and wants me to come up with the registration code. See attached screen shot. As you might imagine, I am going to have to do some digging to find my original disks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Tomorrow is fine. I will be on until late afternoon EST.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK. Licence is sorted and I am now running 8.5.1. No change however, it's still not recognising Montserrat, despite it being confirmed as installed by Font Explorer. FYI, it's a freely available Open Type font, so nothing weird there.

Can you try this for me?

The QuarkIinvisibles font is installed during the QuarkXPress 7 & 8 installations. It is used to display custom (invisible) special characters, such as the em space and flex space, when View > Invisibles (Command-I) is selected. In this case the QuarkInvisibles font is installed but does not load when QuarkXPress is launched. The failure in this case is due to a Permissions/Privileges issue for the QuarkXPress Fonts folder.

Give Read & Write access to Everyone on the Fonts folder at the following locations:

• For Mac:
    Hard Drive:Applications:QuarkXPress 8:Required Components:Fonts.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi IsaacDone that. Quark is asking me to install the Quarkinvisibles.ttf. When I try to do that, Font Book tells me that "1 serious error was found. Do not use this font". To be fair, Invisibles weren't working before the update either. Thoughts?

I am not sure if i can get this resolved without looking at it further myself in remote. I am going to open this up to another expert for their input.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

Quark 8 is not compatible with El Capitan only version 2015 or higher....

"Please note that due to the extensive changes in the OS X El Capitan release, Quark does not intend to provide support for running El Capitan on versions of QuarkXPress prior to QuarkXPress 2015. QuarkXPress 3-10 users who plan to migrate to El Capitan should upgrade to QuarkXPress 2015 prior to migrating OS X."

Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

There is no point trying to make it work I have been through this before, it may work briefly but it is not stable.... try clearing the font cache:

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, thanks. It's working fine for me, apart from its inability to see this font.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 months ago.

OK good luck, did you clear the font caches?