Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Photos have been corrupted. can't find the files. for quite

Customer Question

photos have been corrupted. can't find the files.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: for quite some time. I kept an older mac that has some uncorrupted photos. when the database looked corrupted, I bought a new one but it imported the corrupted photos.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: three macs and all are on different operating systems. I didn't want to mix them up for fear that I may lose more photos.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I also have the apple drive with back ups but i also unplugged this for fear of losing photos
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I believe I have uncorrupted files somewhere, I just haven't wanted to tackle the problem
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What makes you think they are corrupted ? What happens when you open Photos or iPhoto app ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can see all the photos but older photos don't look quite as good and if I try to copy or move the photo it says "could not load image"
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Are you using iPhoto application or Photos app ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The default photos app on the mac
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Ok, Photos in "Photos" app seldom get corrupted as the Photos app keep them separated in a different file called Photos Library. So keep the backup drive unplugged until we sort this out.

Have you tried rebuilding your Photos Library ? If not, please do it. Close Photos if it is open. Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard and open Photos. Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library. Then rebuild with all options.

Let me know how it goes please.

BTW I'd also recommend to make a manual backup of your Photos Library. That is go to Pictures folder, then copy the iPhoto Library or Photos Libray and paste them to the external or backup drive. This will keep that copy there without affecting by anything.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I restarted, it only gave me the option to repair, not rebuild
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Yes, do the repair.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's been sitting on 99% for quite some time. Should I just wait it out?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Yes, wait it out. It may take an hour or so if you have large library.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

On which Mac do you have the working photo library (i.e with all your photos) ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have multiple versions in several locations. We have the current mac, an older mac, and then an even older mac, and the apple drive.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Which one has the most accurate or non corrupted library ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the oldest mac should have uncorrupted files, but is not up to date (has old photos). I assume the apple drive has the files somewhere on there, but I don't want to venture into it without knowing what I'm doing. The two newer macs have corrupted files, but the one we are using has the most recent photos.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I figured at some point, I would try to locate the original files and combine them all somewhere away from the mac. however, I'm not comfortable locating and moving the files and worry about losing them in the process.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Yes, we can combine them all. It is easy. I will help you with that. Connect the backup drive to your older Mac. Open the backup drive, and create a folder on it and name it "To Combine". Then open that folder and create three folders - From Mac 1, From Mac 2 and From Mac 3

Now on the old Mac, go to go to your Pictures Folder (in Finder, click on Go menu and select Home, then open Pictures folder) and find the iPhoto/Photos Library there. Right (or hold down Control) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. It will open the library contents in Finder. Now in there, you will find Masters or Originals folder.

Select that Masters or Originals folder, then open the From Mac 1 folder in external backup drive and copy that Originals folder there.

Then do the same procedure to copy the Masters or Originals folder from other Mac to the respective folders in the external drive. Once you done this, connect the backup drive to your primary Mac. Then hold down Option key and open Photos app. Select Create New Library. This will create a blank or empty library. Then click on File > Import from Folder. Then selcet the resective folders from external hard drive. This will give you a combined library. This is the best way, but going to take a few hours to sort this out if you have so many photos.

Let me know how it goes please. If you face any difficulty, please let me know and I will walk you through it

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the back up drive is the apple one with the time machine. I haven't used it for awhile; can I open it and create folders?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Yes, you can. It can be used to store files locally or with Time Machine. You can open it from Finder (it will appear in desktop or in Finder, in left column as an external hard drive)

Or you can buy another external hard drive and backup to it. External hard drives are definitely worth it.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

And remember, only copy the Masters or Originals folder from each library to the respective folders in back up drive. The original photos are stored in Masters or Originals folder.

We're combining the Originals or Masters folder of all the libraries of each Mac and create single library on your main Mac.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think I'll buy an external drive so that I don't mess up anything on the apple drive
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

That is a good idea. You can also keep a manual backup of your files from all the Macs easily to the external hard drive.

Any brand of external hard drive will work on Mac.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the rebuild did not work. I'll have to buy the hard drive and come back to this. How long do I have to come back for help from you? it could be a few days. thank you!
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

You can get back to me any time you want. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me via this page any time you want.

I will keep this question open, so you will be able to get back to me later or even after a few days.

Best Regards,

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

.