Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service
93584285

My Macbook Air has no sound. I dropped it, which made it

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: My Macbook Air has no sound. I dropped it, which made it restart, and everything is else is working fine, but...no sound.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Air and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I think it is 2013 or 14. I updated it to the latest operating system today to try to get the sound to work again...
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I am not tech savvy at all. I just googled, and updated the operating system from the app store. I also looked at Sound under System Preferences, and the only option for Output is my Airport Express, which doesn't sound right to me?
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: that's it
Category: Mac
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Okay, lets try this first. There are several things this could be. So if this doesnt work, we will go from there.

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

then, lets try to start in safe mode:

To start in safe mode. Shut mac down completely. Press power, then immediately press and hold the

left shift key on your keyboard and keep it held down for about 20 seconds.

Do you hear sound now?

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
~Franklin

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello,I tried both options, but the computer still has no sound.Also, since the computer has no sound, I was confused about first suggestion: your instructions indicated that I should shut down the Mac, then press and hold Command, Option, P, and R keys "immediately after you hear the startup sound" but...there is no startup sound. There is no sound at all. However, I did shut down and restart the computer, holding down the indicated keys at startup (even though there is no startup sound), and the computer screen that appeared was named "OS X Utilities"; the three options available on this screen were "Restore from Time Machine Backup", "Reinstall OS X", "Get Help Online", and "Disk Utility." I did not know what any of these options meant, so I shut the computer down again and restarted in Safety Mode as directed. There was no sound in Safety Mode, and there is no sound now that I have restarted again out of Safety Mode.I'm currently in Kiev, Ukraine for my job, and there is no Apple store here, so I will need to go buy a new computer in a few hours if the sound can't be fixed because I need to do a video chat at noon (it is almost 4 am here).

The only way you would have seen that screen is if the P key isnt working or it wasnt help down or 'registered' as held down

with those commands.

that is not the screen you should have saw. Can you try again for me?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I just tried it again. I didn't get the same screen as before; the computer appeared to start up normally and go into the normal password ***** screen, etc. However, still no sound.

Okay. Thank you.

This link is for a different cause, but the fix should still work. It sounds as if your flex cable became dislodged.

You need to check both ends of the cable and put them firmly in place. Do this by following the article below:

https://lepageblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/31/fix-for-macbook-air-audio-problem-no-sound/

If that doesnt work, the flex cable may be damaged, or if you do not have enough time, you may be able to get

another computer in time, or turn it back in for a refund when you fix this one if you no longer need the new one.

If it is the cable damaged all together and it needs replaced, i wouldnt discard the laptop.

You can fix it with the document i showed you above by getting the cable for 15 dollars at this link.

http://amzn.to/2afNWXU

(copy/paste link above in your browser)

With luck, (and this is most likely the case) the cable is just loose from the fall.

~Franklin

Hi, i was checking in to see if you needed further support for your computer?

~Franklin