Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions

NOBODY can figure this out!!!!! I have a late 2010 Macbook

Customer Question

NOBODY can figure this out!!!!!
I have a late 2010 Macbook Air 11 inch. (A1370) When I plug in my charger it will not charge unless I shut my computer down and then it charges fine but I cannot charge while in use. I have bought a new battery, new charger, I replaced the I/O board, I did a hardware test, I re-installed software using the drive, I reset the SMC, I reset the PRAM, I called apple with no luck. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

My first statement is to congratulate you on your new almost rebuilt Macbook Air 11 (That is a joke.)

My first question is to ask you what the voltage of the old and the new power adapters are?

I will be here for a while so just reply when you have a chance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The old was a 45 watt, I bought a new 45 watt and I tried my husbands 85 watt
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is very close to being brand new! If I could just charge it while using it :(

Just my opinion, from the things that I have seen over the years, that maybe this issue has accelerated other issues pertaining to power, like blowing a capacitor or frying a wire. But that would be worst case scenario.

Best case scenario, update the heck out of the machine and see if updating the firmware makes any difference.

Other than that, I would have no other ideas because you have done so wonderfully on your own.

If, by some miracle, my suggestions work - feel free to leave me a good rating on my answer so I can get credit for it.

Either way, please let us know. I'm curious as to what the answer is.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry...I have updated everything possible. Do I still have pay for this? if i give you stars?

If you give stars, yes. If you want me to send this to be closed out without payment, I can do that as well. Either way, I understand. You spent a LOT on this issue and it was worth a shot. LOL

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Unfortunately, the problem has not been solved so I don't think I should pay but I feel bad for not giving you stars. Do other people on this website read this and have the option to answer it if they think of something that we have not?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you close this out plz?

I certainly will!