Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I am trying to get all the music from my old iPod classic

Customer Question

I am trying to get all the music from my old iPod classic onto my MacBook air
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Air and what operating system are you running?
Customer: MacBook Air is less than one year old, running on OS X El Capitan 10.11.5
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've tried to use the sync function, but a pop up says if I sync it will erase all the music on my iPod and match the iPod to the Mac.
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope. Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Cody replied 3 months ago.

Are you using itunes to sync?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have tried to use iTunes, but that is where the program indicated it could sync my Mac library(new Mac, small library) onto my iPod (old iPod classic, big library) but it would erase everything that was on my iPod that was not on the Mac. I also have an iCloud account and I saw something on the web indicating that the I cloud could interfere with syncing through iTunes . . .