Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service
93584285

I enter my log in password and the screen returns to the log

Customer Question

I enter my log in password ***** the screen returns to the log in window. I just updated to the newest Sierra update. I can get into my guest account
JA: Have you contacted anyone about your account?
Customer: no
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Disk repair, reboot.
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Category: Mac
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

In order to help you, I need to know what operating system you have on your device. Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8.1, 10, or do you have a Mac?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Mac OS Sierra Beta
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
10.12 Beta (16A254g)

Follow this link to reset your password ***** the other acct. Login with new password ***** reset keychain repair/first aid.

http://www.wikigain.com/reset-forgotten-macos-sierra-password/

The remote support offer was declined in our system. I can only see where it denied it, but not details. Customer

support will attempt to resolve your issue, but the instructions i left above, should grant you access.

If you are satisfied with the help I have provided, please remember to click and submit a star rating on this page. Your feedback is important as it is the only way I am credited for assisting you. Thank you.
~Franklin

Also, a remote will not help. We need to follow the steps above first to get access to the acct.

I can connect after and help you with your keychain repair if needed once we can get into the acct.

~Franklin

Hi, were you able to reset the password ***** the steps i sent you?

~Franklin

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Isacc,
No. I uploaded a clean copy of OS X, tried my name and it begins to log in then returns to the log in screen. I then created a new log in and did not engage the keychain, that is working. I was able to save my files from the log in, deleted them and kept them. I renamed them to my old name, tried a new account using those and the result was the same, begin the log in and return to the log in screen. I have decided to use my new account it seems to work better than the old one did, may be I have had it too long and it incorporated bad juju. It seems from past issues and this one the keychain is the culprit.

For your original profile, please check the permissions for your login keychain.

~/Library/Keychains/login.keychain

What may have happened is during the Seirra install, it may have 'altered' the permissions on that file.

If your main user has read/right access, please run 'first aid' on keychain.

Let me know if that works? Or you can continue using the new user account.

~Franklin