David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

I have a simple question regarding iPhones & iCloud. Goal:

Customer Question

I have a simple question regarding iPhones & iCloud.
Goal: When a photo is taken, it is saved to iCloud and can safely be deleted locally from the phone. Additionally, I would like to have access to all iCloud photos from the device. I need free space on my phone but don't want to delete all of my photos.
Additional information:
I am doing this for my phone and all of my family members' phones.
We do not need to share one another's photos.
We are all using iPhones (ranging from 5-6+).
All but one are using OSX (iMac/Macbook), one is using a PC.
We have all upgraded our iCloud storage.
What I think we have confusion on is the terms from Apple (iCloud, Photo Stream, Photos, etc.).
What is the best (step-by-step) way to do this as far as settings are concerned? I have tried a number of things, but when I delete a photo from my camera, I still get the warning that it will be removed from all devices.
Thank you!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, Elliot

Give me a moment, I will share the instruction to do this.

Have you created account in Icloud.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello!Yes, I (and everyone else) has an iCloud account and they have been upgraded to more storage.

That's good. Now you need to only do few thing as mentioned in below document.

Also make sure you have enabled backup as shown in below image

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your response. However, that is all set up. I (we) can take photos without a problem, they will then be visible in the "All Photos" and "Collections." However, when I want to delete a photo, I get the warning: "This photo will be deleted from iCloud Photo Library on all your devices." When I proceed to delete it, it disappears from "All Photos" and "Collections."I am trying to have the photo saved on iCloud Photo Library (and then able to be retrieved on the phone at any time), but deleted from the phone itself.

Once you enable Icloud and turn your backup on. Allow it to sync all the photos to your Icloud account. Once done you can check if the photos are properly backed up. Then try to delete it couple of pics from your phone and retrive it back from icloud storage

I would recommend you to use dropbox to take backup of your phones and free your Iphone's space. your photos will still be there in your dropbox account

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello,The screen shot provided does not match my iPad. Since Apple already has iCloud storage in place, I don't want to use Dropbox to do the same activity.Unfortunately, I don't think we are on the same page for this problem and I would like someone else to take a look at my question.Thank you
Expert:  David replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will reply ASAP.

Expert:  David replied 4 months ago.

Your devices use iCloud to back up your photo, and they are in sync, so deleting from a device deletes fro mthe iCloud storage. However there is a new space saving feature in iCloud Photo Library called Optimize Storage.

All devices will need iOS 8.3 or later.

Then on each device turn on iCloud Photo Library.

Tap Settings > iCloud > Photos, then turn on iCloud Photo Library.

Then set it to Optimize Storage.

1. Tap Settings.
  2. Tap iCloud > Photos.
  3. Choose Optimize [device] Storage.

You can do the same with your Photos Library on your Mac.

This lets the software manage the storage on your device, making optimized versions of photos and videos to store locally on your device to save space. The full resolution versions remain in your iCloud backup.

You can learn more about this feature here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204264

I hope this helps, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to reply and ask, I will be glad to help.

Sincerely,

David.

Expert:  David replied 4 months ago.

Also if this helps answer your question, I would really appreciate if you could rate my answer, so JustAnswer acknowledge that I have been of help.

Thank you and have a great day!