Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Will this be costly? I am pretty handy and pretty poor!

Customer Question

JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: well, I have a slow network connection on a new retina MBpro 13. I had the same issue on a Macbook, and got this one thinking it was hardware. When I got the new one, I migrated all my stuff over, and now the same things is happening here.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook and what operating system are you running?
Customer: 10.11.5, Late 2013 MBPro, Retina 512 GB SSD, 8GB Ram
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: reset smc, reset vram...
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: how much do you think it will cost?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: can i see price info first?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing

So, a slow network connection is normally caused by the network devices FIRST.

Then, it could be the connection itself......possibly cabling, or being on the "last mile" of the network node of the internet provider.

Can you run a internet speed test please, and report here the results (take a screen shot, and upload here)

You can use the link below to do the test.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey there.. just a heads up, this is a very elusive issue. I know the incoming speeds are OK, because My old Mac is doing fine. This new mac is running funny in general. I have reset SMC and P/VRam, and considered formatting, but that would be a pain. If you are not into the degree of troubleshooting to deal with this, thats fine, I can take my money and run so to speak. But if you are up for it, and this thing starts acting normal, I'd be thrilled to pay you.A few other peculiar things that I am guessing are related.
1- volume control is greyed out. I think this had something to do with a stuck external audio driver
2- General sluggish performance. even opening microsoft word docs at times.. seems to be worse with network dependent apps.
3- System WILL NOT under any settings, remember a password ***** a WIFI network. This has never been an issue until i migrated to this machine.Look forward to hearing from you!

So, if multiple computers suffer the SAME problems in the network could very easily be a network device. Such as a switch, router, Access Point, Modem, etc etc.

What is your Internet provider?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No... what is was saying was that my other older mac is doing just fine. it has a clean install and it's doing OK.

I assume you have taken the MBPro to OTHER areas or places, that also have WiFi, or a wired connection you can use.....and you get the same results NO MATTER WHERE YOU TRY. Interet cafe, Starbucks, McDonalds, Public Library, etc etc.

Is that correct?

Maybe try going to the current Update 10.12 (Sierra)

This is a very difficult thing to troubleshoot. I need some background.

Have you always had this MBPro 2013 since it was new?

Or did you just acquire it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can try the update, and yes, its the same on other networks..
I also am aware that it very tough to troubleshoot. thats what I offered to bail out. I really was not intending to rope you into something ike this for a mere 25 dollars. This macbook was my wife's and she was not using it. we bought it new.

Well, the last resort would be to REinstall OSX.

Yes i know this is not the result you wanted.......but it does solve many issues.

I have noticed in my 10+ year career in computer repair, that computers hat sit OFF for long periods of time suffer wierd anomolous issues.

Speculation is that condensation has set in, due to lack of air movement.

Also, computers that sit out of sight, can be prone to unknown damage. maybe a box falls onto it, or its in a box that gets dropped.

If this machine sat for a year or more, without being used, its very possible this could be the case.

Reinstalling OSX, which is a task in and of itself, will allow you to rule out a software issue, and begin to narrow in on a ardware issue.

Have you run any diagnostics on your CPU, or RAM, or MoBo?