Bhavik Joshi
Bhavik Joshi, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Product Developer at Computer Science Corporation
94617175

I have imovie 10.1.2 (I think). I've made many videos so I

Customer Question

I have imovie 10.1.2 (I think). I've made many videos so I do know how to work the program (even if my technical vocabulary is lacking). However, it is crashing. I can get one video clip in but even adding one more crashes in. I have a lot of videos saved and I don't know if I should re-install. I don't want to lose anything.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 7 months ago.

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer. I will try to helping you out in it.

Trashing iMovie's preference file will often fix problems.

Go to your User (Home) folder Library/Preferences (not the Library folder at the top level in Macintosh HD). If you are on Lion (Mac OS X 10.7) or Mountain Lion (10.8), the User Library folder is hidden. To access it, click on Go in the Finder menu bar, then press the Option key - the Library folder will appear in the drop down list.

In the Library/Preferences folder, locate a file named "com.apple.iMovieApp.plist". With iMovie closed, drag this file to the Desktop. When next opened, iMovie will create a fresh preference file with the default settings. If iMovie now runs OK, you can change these settings in the menu item "IMovie>Preferences" if desired. Also, it's now safe to drag the old preference file to the Trash. Trashing the file will not harm your existing Events or Projects.

Hi Susan,

Does your issue still persist ? If not, Could you please provide rating to me. If you have any questions please let me know.