Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

3 years ago I had a hard drive die. Recoverd files with

Customer Question

3 years ago I had a hard drive die. Recoverd files with StellarPheonix. A number of layerd PSD's had: "Could not complete your request because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: ....It wasn't a total catastrophe but over time I've kept my head up over solutions. I bought the Remo & Yodot retrieval software but both were useless rip-offs (no kidding). I've found that sometimes you can wait and after a while there occurs an actual solution and it's been a while so. I'm on a Mac, still have the old internal hard drive and thought I'd check. I've also considered using a different retrieval software. Opening in illustrator gets image back but the layers are gone. These were pretty complex files with image layers, adjustment layers, channel masks, etc...
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: MacBook Pro 17" Early 2011, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, Now running OSX El Capitan, 10.11.5
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Remo, Yodot, Changing Suffix, Change SP files number, Opening in illustrator. It's not a crisis.
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: That's it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Question, when you say " the old hard drive died " and also " you still have the old internal drive" I need more detail.

Do you have the drive connected currently? Was it ever formatted or erased?