Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My Macbook pro suddenly won't accept my Log in password, I

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, my Macbook pro suddenly won't accept my Log in password, I have el Capitan
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Early 2011 but I have el Capitan on it
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Starting up in recovery mode, but didn't get past the first dialogue box
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Nope, thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

If it is not working, then you can reset the password ***** booting into Mac OS X Utilities screen.

Follow the steps below to reset the password.

Turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button for 5-10 seconds.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 20 seconds. If that didn't work, then hold down Command, Option and R keys.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Click on the“Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal".

In Terminal, type (without space)--> resetpassword

Press return. This will bring Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at top column, select the user account from the drop down under it, confirm the user account and then change password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.

Turn it back on. After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create New Keychain.

If you are still getting keychain error, then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

Go to System Preferences > iCloud and click Sign Out. If asked to keep or delete stuffs, click Keep. Then in Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu at the top bar and select Library. This will open Library folder. Trash Keychain folder in there and restart your Mac.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.