Nathan, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Own/operate IT/networking company.

I purchased 2 Google tv about 6 years ago and due to being

Customer Question

I purchased 2 Google tv about 6 years ago and due to being in storage for 5 years, I can't seem to make it work. (I am not tech savvy). Is it possible to make it work? I feel it has been such a huge waste of my money and would like to use it with apps like Netflix or even just as a large monitor for my Mac, iPad, and iPhone. My idea is that I can put in the extra bedrooms where it could be use for anything, even just as a monitor that is oversized, which would be great
Are there any use for this Google TV? I am hoping there must be.
Thanks for your time,
Category: Mac
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Sabina.

I'm assuming you are referring to the logitech google tv devices.

Unfortunately, the short answer is that no, for the most part they won't work. The google tv products were all discontinued and phased out in 2011, and are no longer supported.

The real issue is that there have been no updates for them, so while they could have worked for awhile, at this point the functionality for most of the apps like netflix, youtube, etc are no longer compatible with those services and simply won't be able to connect.

For what you are wanting to do to access apps, you would need to purchase either a new smart tv, or hook up a similar external streaming device such as a roku, or fire tv, which are both available in the $40-100 range depending on model. They'll do most everything the gooletv did as well as many others. They are designed for use with a tv though, no point to having them connected to an iphone/pad/mac, because those devices all have their own apps already.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Sabina?