Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am the owner of an imac 21" computer - i need assistance

Customer Question

i am the owner of an imac 21" computer - i need assistance with my password ***** i
forgot - the serial number i have on my purchase invoice is - c02fvkfudhje
molly lopez
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Did you forget the password ***** login to your computer ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no. i did not get the password
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 months ago.

The default password ***** ***** Did you try leaving it blank and hit OK or return ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no , i did not. my phone number is(###) ###-####to contact me
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 months ago.

First, we're not Apple. This is JustAnswer, a paid support website. We provide support to any questions in here.

I need some more information you. Are you stuck at login screen or are you locked out of your Mac ?

If so, I can send you instructions to reset the password. Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am not locked out, i forgot administration password.
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 months ago.

You can easily reset the administrator password ***** booting into Mac OS X Utilities screen. First go to System Preferences select iCloud. Click Sign Out button there and sign out. If asked to delete or keep stuffs, select Keep. If you only see Delete, then click Delete or OK. It is OK, you can reconnect to iCloud later.

Follow the steps below to reset the password.

Turn off your Mac by holding down the Power button for 5-10 seconds.

Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys at same time for 10 seconds.

This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.

Click on the“Utilities” menu in top bar and select “Terminal" (look at the top bar of the screen to see Utilities menu)

In Terminal, type(without space)--> resetpassword

Press return. This will bring Reset Password ***** Select the hard disk at top column, select the user account from the drop down under it, confirm the user account and then change password ***** Save. Then click on the Apple icon and select Shutdown.

Turn it back on.After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then click Create New Keychain. Use new password ***** asked.

If you are still getting keychain error, then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

In Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu at the top bar (top of screen) and select Library. This will open Library folder. Trash Keychain folder in there and restart your Mac.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I cannot access System Preferences, it is in the trash!molly
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 months ago.

Put it back from Trash to Applications folder or desktop. Then open it.

Or click on Apple icon and select System Preferences.

If that didn't work, then do the steps of resetting password

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i tried the apples icon, it did not work. I will have to contact you another day, i have to leave for a few days and will get back
to you when i return.molly
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 months ago.

Ok Molly. We can continue later. When you are back, just post a reply in here and I will get back to you ASAP. This question will not be closed

Best Regards,