Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a mac pro 17" it comes on chime comes on only, turns

Customer Question

I have a mac pro 17" it comes on chime comes on only, turns white and a file folder with a ? mark shows.?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running? What confuses you?
Customer: laptop mac osx ? very old unit been updated ?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: command-option -p-r keys per what i read
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: should be it
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

1. Turn off your Mac by pressing and holding the power button for a few seconds.
  2. Press the power button once to turn your Mac back on. When you hear the startup sound, immediately press and hold the Command and R keys on your keyboard to start your Mac from OS X Recovery. Keep these two keys held down until you see an Apple logo or globe appear.
  3. If prompted, select a Wi-Fi network to connect to the Internet as part of startup.
  4. After the Recovery screen appears, click the Apple menu and choose Startup Disk.
  5. Select your startup disk, then click Restart.

Will it let you select your startup disk when you follow the above steps? If so, you should be able to boot and have a working mac. let me know if this doesnt work, or if you get stuck and cant complete these steps.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that did not work still comes on chimes white sreen with a floder with a ? mark inside the folder appears and blinks noting more. ??
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

So holding down command option and R didnt take you to the recovery screen?

Nothing at all changed? What about if you hold down X or if you hold down the option key as soon as you press power to start the mac?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
holding down x key nothing, holding down option key after the Chime got the mouse arrow on screen and folder with ? mark when away however that is as far as it goes
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

How long have you had this mac, and when was the last time that it owuld boot properly?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
a long time maybe 8-10 years ? I do not what owuld means if you are referring to powering up . The computer has never done this, been coming on properly since I got it. this is a first ? Been the last couple days been very very slow I had to keep shutting down and rebooting .
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

It sounds to me like your hard drive has failed. And considering how old the machine is, your hard drive was past its expected lifespan by quite a bit.

Thankfully, the cost of replacing the hard drive isnt too steep.. You can get a compatible drive here. http://amzn.to/29zUxK9

Once you install the hard drive, youd just need to reinstall mac osx after that using either an install cd or a install USB. You can get a pre made installer usb from here for 9$ http://amzn.to/29GTmtq

Keep in mind though, you can also get an entire macbook used for 179$. http://amzn.to/29BBb6R

Considering your 17" model is worth a bit more then that 15" model, it may be worth repairing your macbook rather then replacing it.

If you have further questions, let me know.

Dustin S.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I see you viewed my response but never messaged me in return. Did you still need help with this issue?

Please response so I can help you further, or so we can close out this question. Thank you.

Dustin S.