Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I changed the batteries in the keyboard and it still is not

Customer Question

I changed the batteries in the keyboard and it still is not pairing. The mouse doesn't do anything either. The arrow was in the top left corner and I cannot make it move. I pulled the batteries out of the mouse and reinstalled them. It was flashing green as it was attempting to pair but was unsuccessful.
JA: What's the make and model of your computer? And have you had problems with this keyboard in the past?
Customer: It's a few years old. 24" ????
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Everything.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: As I can't make the pointer move, there is not much I can do. Neither the mouse nor the keyboard will pair. The Bluetooth setup assistant screen is up and the wheel in the lower right corner of that window is spinning as if trying to connect.
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I think that's it. Thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  michelleclive replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your wireless keyboard and mouse pairing.

To connect the wireless mouse and keyboard you need to follow few steps carefully

connect the receiver to the usb port and then make sure the batteries are good in the keyboard as well as the wireless mouse then all you need to follow it few steps.

Press the connect button on the receiver first and withing 12 seconds press the connect button on the bottom of the mouse and the keyboard then it will be synchronized with each other.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank. I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to computers.what receiver and what USB port?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where is the connect button? Where is the connect button? My computer has the 24 inch screen with the built-in computer.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Are you still there?

if you can tell me the make and model of the keyboard and mouse i can tell you the exact location of the reset button.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is an Apple keyboard. Model A1314. Mouse is apple model. Really hard to read number.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mouse- A1296

allow me few mins i am working on it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
  1. Turn off the Apple wireless keyboard, better yet remove the batteries.
  2. On your mac, click the bluetooth icon in the upper toolbar, then select “Set Up Bluetooth Device”.
  3. Wait for the Bluetooth Set Up Assistance to come up and start searching for devices.
  4. Insert the batteries then HOLD the power button, do NOT let go.
  5. Your wireless keyboard should now appear in the assistant.
  6. Select the keyboard from the list and click continue, while still holding the power button.
  7. Once you get the pairing code, let go of the power button and type in the code.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can't click on anything as the mouse does not work.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The window that is showing says Bluetooth set up assistant across the top. Blow that it says Bluetooth keyboard set up. It says it is looking and if found it will be paired with the computer.

please restart the computer by holding down the power button

once back on try the steps

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I hooked up the mouse from my other computer and that works. Wireless Microsoft mouse. Now I'm able to click on things but still can't get keyboard or Apple mouse to work.

ok..with the other mouse did you try the steps i gave?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This hasn't helped and I would like order to be refunded. Thanks anyway.

i will opt out so that my fellow experts may advice

Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Unplug the computer's power cord.
3. Wait fifteen seconds.
4. Attach the computer's power cord.
5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts again at least twice.
8. Release the keys.