Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

My optical disc drive seems to be broken so i need to find a

Customer Question

Hi! My optical disc drive seems to be broken so i need to find a replacement for my HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH41N in my G4 Mac Pro. Any suggestions on new or used that are available? or what might be compatible? I dont want to spent too much being that it is an older computer. Thanks!
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: I've had it for about...5or 6 years and bought it new.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried to use disc utilities and it did nothing to repair it. The issue started when I was trying to burn a dvd from DVD studio pro and it kept saying that I need to put in a recordable disk, which it was. So then I just tried to see if it would even read any DVD and it just spins and then spits it out w/o playing it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  BigDish101 replied 3 months ago.

Any standard SATA interfaced optical drive should work. If you want a exact replacement I would look to ebay.

I am trying to confirm whether the G4 uses a SATA or SCSI interface on the drive.

This matches the GH41N number you provided.

but in my opinion the G4 is so old that I honestly do not think it would have a SATA interface, so I'd really like to be able to confirm it's interface before recommending a replacement.

The best way to ensure correct replacement is to remove the old part and get the actual part number off of it or just send a photo of the interface on the rear.