Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My macbook pro won't update software in the apps folder.

Customer Question

my macbook pro won't update software in the apps folder. example is keynote, numbers, pages dated may 10, 2016 and iTunes 12.4.1.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: macbook pro early 2011, OS X 10.11.5
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none really
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What happens when you update ? Are you getting any errors ?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it just doesn't do it - no error codes per se. the little wheel keeps spinning and has been for a few weeks. i've tried force quitting the update and restarting but the same issue persists
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

It is possible that the OS X system files are corrupted and causing the issue. Download and install this update again --> https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1876?locale=en_US

Then try to update the software. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

It seems like there are some issues with the payment, so I will continue to help you here.

If the above method doesn't work, then please do the following

Solution 1 :

Close App Store. Then in Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu at the top bar and select Library. This will open Library folder. Then open Preferences folder and trash the following files

com.apple.appstore.plist

com.apple.storeagent.plist

Then shut down your Mac

Restart and immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.

Release the keys and let the Mac boot up. Try App Store updates.

If it still not working, then try this solution.

Download App Cleaner application from here --> https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

Open App Cleaner and load the App Store app in it. It will App Store and all it is related files in that window. So uncheck App Store app, but keep other files of App Store checked. Then click Delete button and restart your Mac. Then try to download updates.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Expert:  Ashik replied 7 months ago.

Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?