Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I recently stacked my 3 - iOmega 1 TB external hard drives

Customer Question

I recently stacked my 3 - iOmega 1 TB external hard drives next to my studio speaker monitors- like inches away from them, and I'm afraid the magnet from the speaker wiped out my photos and data all together since the drives don't even pop up anymore upon powering up. Is there a way to recover these files? It's mainly the thousands of photos and videos I want saved if possible- thanks! Main computer was 2008 iMac mountain lion- won't show up on MacBook Pro at home either-
Help!? Thanks!
Joe
Category: Mac
Expert:  Christopher Williams replied 4 months ago.

Hi Joe,

When you plug the USB drives in to computer can you hear them powering up? (You should hear a faint hum as the disk platter rotates.)

Another thing to check is if the disks show up on your Macs in Disk Utility - you can launch this by going to:

Finder (in the Dock) -> Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility

You should then be able to see in the bar on the left side of the application if your disks have been detected successfully. If they do not show up here - you can check the System Information application by clicking the Apple icon in the top right, then clicking "About this Mac", then "System Report...". From there, select "USB" and see if the disks show up in the top left panel there as USB devices.

If you could report back with your findings from the above checks I should be able to assist further.

Thanks!

Christopher

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Apple icon in top right?? Do you mean top left?

Hi Joe,

Very sorry yep - top left!

Clearly I hadn't had my morning coffee when I wrote this! :)

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Christopher- so the drive shows up in disk utility and system information- but cannot be verified 'unrecognizable file system' it says -
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2nd drive does not show up at all in disk utility or USB tab of system information - both make slight noise upon powering up-
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did you see these comments here?