Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years

I have a brand-new Macbook Pro awhich I am trying to connect

Customer Question

I have a brand-new Macbook Pro awhich I am trying to connect to the wi-fi network of my two (old and new) tabletop macs. I keep getting "none of your preferred networks are available", although my home network name is ***** ***** good reception. What do I do to get a wi-fi connection to the laptop? .... David Stern, Greenbelt, Maryland
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Brand new, like maybe 2 weeks, and it came with "El Capitan" OS 10.12
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I am not a Mac expert (and in my 80s). I tried logging in with various passwords I remembered. All but one got "incorrect password", but with the one that did not. there was no way to join. Pressed "Join" on a few occasions, nothing happened.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you remove the power to the wifi router and wait 5 minutes

Connect the power, then try to connect

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Went to Preferences > Networks, on sidebar clicked on "wi-fi" (marked "on" in sidebar, orange mark) and got list of networks with "None of your preferred networks is available". Clicked on name of main network (which had icon for good reception), and was asked for password. However, before I could enter it, back came the previous panel with IDs of networks and "None of your preferred networks is available".
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

ok, just to check though, did you do the instructions I gave you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Please log me off your site. I never expected to pay more that $5!!
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.