Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have recently purchased anew Mac with Retina display and

Customer Question

I have recently purchased anew Mac with Retina display and after transferring photos from my old Mac they are out of order and I am unable to manually rectify this?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the model of your Mac, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: Model OS X El Capitan, version 10.11.3
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Asked the question on Google, no help
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 3 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May I ask how exactly they are "out of order" and what that means?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they are out of date order

Are you restoring them from an iPhoto Library? If not, how are you doing so?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
transferring them on a flash drive to the new computer

Are the images themselves time-stamped or was that done in iPhoto?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This sounds crazy but I have just checked the first photo in Image and adjust date and time and it is 9/6/2016 ( which is when I transferred them) and 21 photos further down it says 7/3/2010 (which is when I actually downloaded them on the old compute)

Please, look at the Collections/Moments section. Are the photos in order there?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Where is that?

That is in the Photos app.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
In All Photyos - No, most of them are but the last few are not

Most of them are in order, but a few are not?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They are different in All Photos to the Album

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

Did you transfer the Photos Library from your Pictures folder exactly as it was, intact? What did you put on the flash drive to transfer and how did you do it exactly?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I manually reorganise photos in Photos? How do I authorise the new computer to play ITunes music previously purchased on the old computer. I have clicked on support on the new computer but it does not come up and yet on the old computer it does.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

You can organize them into albums but you cannot change the dates associated with them. If you transferred it correctly those dates should all be transferred which is why I asked how your transferred the library.... to authorize your computer go to Account / Authorizations / Authorize this computer in iTunes

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Actually Mike I have learnt how to change the dates of photos that have come across from the old Mac to the new Mac by clicking on the photo and changing the adjust date and time in 'Image'. Some photos were dated the date I imported them and some the original date taken. ( Interestingly some were doubled up ?} That has been dealt with. Now the next question is how do I transfer all my ITunes music from the old Mac to the new. How do I find out how many computers are authorised. The only thing in Accounts says de-authorise all and that worries me as I think I will lose all my purchased music. Sorry to be a pain Mike but I'm old and not computer literate. Thanking you
Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

Yes but if you transferred your Photos Library correctly you wouldn't have to do any of that. The easiest way to transfer EVERYTHING is to get a Time Machine backup of your old system then just transfer the whole thing using the Migration Assistant.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

You can transfer your iTunes Library manually too both methods are described here:

I can help you by remote too if you wish.

If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Also please note we get paid the same no matter how long it takes to solve your issue, so bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. Thanks!!

Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

If you deauthorize all that will not lose any of your music it just resets the authorizations on all devices and they must be reauthorized.