Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I am using MS Word and my document froze. Can i recover it?

Customer Question

JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: about 5 min. MS world 2011 and Mac OS 10.11.5
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none yet
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: not that i can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 3 months ago.

If it is frozen, then I'm sorry you have to force quit it. There is no other way to unfreeze it and no way to save the document now. But if the Auto recovery functions is turned on, then Word will recover and open the document automatically next time you open Word. Press Command, Option and Esc keys and this will bring Force Quit. Select Word, Force quit and open it. Does it open the document ?

If not, then check the Auto recovery folder. In Finder, click on Go menu and select Home. Then open Documents folder. Open Microsoft folder and open Auto recovery folder. If you see any files there, then rename the files (to rename, select the file and press return key to bring the selection on name) and add .docx or .doc at the end of the file name and then open it with Word. Do you see your document ?

There is also one more place to check. If you are lucky, you may find a backup in here. In Finder, hold down Option key, click on Go menu and select Library. From Library, Open Application Support folder, open Microsoft, open Office folder. Open Office Auto recovery folder and do you see them there ?

If not, then it is too late now. There is no other way to get it back if it is not in that folder. I know you are looking for a way to get it back, but the fact is, it is gone if the above steps didn't recover them.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. Let me know the results please.

(The above steps may or may not work for you and please remember, these are the only answers to this issue. If you are not satisfied, please don't rate me bad or poor)