Russell H., Long-time Computer Expert
Experience:  Years ago & in 2 years recently, I helped with Mac OS [X] & MacBook & Air & BootCamp etc. problems.

My macbookair about 3 years old, gets very hot underneath,

Customer Question

my macbookair about 3 years old, gets very hot underneath, but not every time i turn it on. uses a lot of battery - ta
Category: Mac
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Check the fan. It might be dead, or prone to not actually spinning.

The fan would be found under a grille, possibly with rounded lines.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Its a MAC BOOK AIR - No fan!!!!!!

If it is overheating, something is making it overheat.

If it normally has no fan, then you may need to fan it.

Is the battery itself heating up? if so, that's a bad sign, and the battery may be shorted perhaps, or the laptop may be drawing excessive current from it, or the charging circuitry in the laptop may be defective and overcharging the battery (thus causing it to overheat.)

Another factor that can cause a laptop to heat up only *some* of the time, would be, if it sometimes has its CPU overloaded with tasks - e.g. having loaded several very 'rich' web pages with lots of ads and animations and pictures and videos playing on them, can overload a CPU like that, which makes the CPU chip hotter, which makes the whole region around the CPU (and its heat sink) hotter.