Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a macbook pro and it starts to load and gets about

Customer Question

I have a macbook pro and it starts to load and gets about 25% done and then shuts down.
JA: Just to clarify, how old is your MacBook Pro and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I believe it is about 3 or 4 years old and it might have osx. It was purchased in Denmark and just brought here by an exchange student. Here is California
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing.
JA: The Mac expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: nothing
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mac Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bhavik Joshi replied 3 months ago.

Hi Welcome to JustAnswer

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Good evenimg

You need to run Disk Utility by booting into OS X Recovery Mode.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do you do that?

Make sure the Mac is off .Hold down the Command and R keys, and power the Mac back up again.

Eventually, you'll end up on a screen headlined OS X Utilities. (Once you see that screen, you can release the keys you were holding down.) Click on Disk Utility. Then click on your Mac's built-in hard drive in the left column of Disk Utility. (Usually, you'll see two listings for your built-in drive: the first includes the drive's size, like 500GB, in its name; and nested underneath it is your drive's friendlier name. You want that second one.) On the lower right of the Disk Utility window, click Verify Disk, and then wait while Disk Utility does its thing.

If disk utility does not recover it then try opening your mac in safe mode :-

Shut the Mac down, and start it up while holding down Shift. Safe Boot can take a while if it does indeed work.

Be patient during your Safe Boot. If the Mac does start up, restart it from the Applemenu once the desktop finishes loading completely.

I will be back in sometime till then try both the above mentioned steps and follow instruction as mentioned above.

Once done try restarting your mac normally and let me know if you are still facing this issue.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I got to the first page but everything is in danish. I will have the student look at this with me in the morning. It looks like you have been helpful and we have a plan of attack. Thanks.

Alright !! Thanks ..Sure take a look and let me know in case of any problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Neither thing worked. The computer says the disk is not active. There was one red line that said "the mac hd could not be verified full". Another red line said " failed, this disk needs to be repaired. Click on repair disk. The icons for repairing the disk are not highlighted so we are unable to continue.

fsck -fy

1. Boot the Mac into Single User Mode by holding down Command+S during system boot after you hear the boot chime, you know you will have successfully entered Single User Mode because you will see a bunch of white text on a black background scroll by
  2. When the Single User boot sequence has finished, you’ll find a small command prompt at the bottom of the screen prefixed by a hash sign (#), when you see that type the following command exactly:

fsck -fy

1. Once fsck completes, if you see a “File system was modified” message, then you should run “fsck -fy” again until you see a message stating “The volume (name) appears to be OK” – this is standard procedure of using fsck
  2. Type “reboot” to leave Single User Mode and boot the Mac back into OS X as usual

Once OS X is booted again, it can be a good idea to confirm all is well by going back to Disk Utility and running the “Verify” tool to check on the drives health.

Keep in mind that if the ‘fsck’ tool continuously fails or reports errors and Disk Utility is a no go as well, the hard drive itself very well may be failing and on its last legs, so be sure to initiate a back up all of your critical data using Time Machine or your backup method of choice, and aim to get the drive replaced sooner than later.

Even after that if you get the same error message Continuously "the mac hd could not be verified full" then try following :-

You have to run fsck from Single User Mode, recovery mode, or a separate boot partition, otherwise the drive is mounted in write mode and fsck can not work or run properly.

Reboot > hold down OPTION key> choose Recovery mode > go to Utilities menu > Terminal > then run fsck -fy command from there

Expert:  Mike replied 3 months ago.

The drive has to be reformatted and the system reinstalled. Do you have a backup?